Mac won't boot, no sound, no display, no I/O

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lokrado, May 19, 2010.

1. Lokrado macrumors regular

My mac won't boot, I tried everything I could think of.
    Whenever I try to turn it on it vigourisly spinns both the HDD and SuperDrive (I put Snow Leopard boot disk in it) but neither does anything, they both turn quiet after a minute or so. I tried booting directly into Darwin, pram zap with and without ram and hdd, but I get the same result every single time. The light by the button to open the display turns on solidly and stays like that. There is no bios dong sond and The hdd and CDs spinns but nothing happens. The cd is btw stuck, it won't eject it.

It's a 17" early 2008 MBP 2.5 GHz version (stock)

before this happened I was doing 2 things that could have effected it. 1: I just installed a java update, though unlikely, possible.
    2: and far more likely I was playing around with my iPhones (which I'm writing from right now) fstab file attemting to remove the underclock. (silly I know but no harm it's a phone.) I was pulling the fstab over to my mac then editing it and putting it back; I did however accidentally launch it with terminal (default) instead of TextEdit, running any code in it at the given time, but with the wrong privalidges and passwords so no harm there?.. Mayhaps..

I googled a bit and found that any other mac with these issues appear to have a fried logic board, I however doubt mine has because it shut down beutifully with no errors and took the usuall backup.

Any help would be DEEPLY aprechiated! :D

BR lokrado

2. Lokrado thread starter macrumors regular

Edit: the only way for me to turn it off is to hold the power button for 8 seconds.

Fstab is ROM anyway right?

3. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Sounds like a Logic Board failure to me. This is what happened to my 17" MBP and 17" iMac; everything was running smoothly and all of a sudden, no display.

4. Lokrado thread starter macrumors regular

Can I say I seriously hope your wrong? :) I have a test in 5 hours and all my stuff is on it :(

5. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

You can boot it into Target Disk Mode by Holding down the T key during startup. Using a FireWire Cable, hook it up to another Mac to access/backup you're files.

Its a very horrifying experience I will say. Last summer both my MBP and iMac had failed Logic Boards and were repaired at somewhere around $1500.

6. Lokrado thread starter macrumors regular

O late

I'll try it though I doubt it will work, it'll be too late by then anyway since I sadly don't own a second mac. I guess i'll take the HDD out if that doesn't work but I don't have the hardware to access it here. :(

7. Lokrado thread starter macrumors regular

8. Lokrado thread starter macrumors regular

Target disk mode didnt work. Pulled the drive out to take a backup, worked fine

9. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

OK good to see that puling the drive out of the computer worked but please do not bump posts as it is in violation of the rules here at MacRumors:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules