Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

montee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
My g-5 wont boot, when I turn it on, the hard drive light comes on, but after a min it sounds like a prop plane trying just before take off. Nothing on the screen. Will not respond to key board.

Thanks

joelovesapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
UK
I helped somebody with this the other night actually.

Have you tried going into single user mode, then typing in 'reboot'?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1492

You SHOULD get it all back, then when you've booted into OS X, go to startup disk and make sure that network startup is not selected.

After that I'd recommend going into the boot cd and selecting verify disk (the one that 10.5 is installed on). If it is damaged, click repair disk.

Hope this works. :)

If not however, it is probably best to contact Apple Support as it could be a hard disk issue, which is not advised to be fixed by anyone other than Apple; especially with 'closed machines' such as an iMac.

montee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
bootup

I tried the single user info from the apple site (command + S) and same thing happens, since there is no power going to keyboard how do you open the disk drive to use to boot disk.

montee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Dead Usb

Called a friend a few min ago and he had a similar problem on a laptop, he suggested changing usb and it worked. Now is there a way to get a dead usb back up.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, power mac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.