Mac Wont boot up ITS THE END OF THE WORLD HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iGotaMac, Nov 15, 2012.

1. iGotaMac macrumors newbie

Okay so I have this MacBook Pro my brother bought me a few weeks back but its been off because the charge died and the charger I had wasnt compatible. Last night when I got the charger I held down Command and S and mounted the drive then used :rm /var/db/.applesetupdone and this was supposed to let me create a new account at start up. Well now I turned on the MacBook and I just get a never ending spin wheel on a grey screen. I also tried pressing Command and R at startup to use time machine but theres no dates to go back to. Also i tried using resetpassword in the terminal but I get a message saying I dont have permission; I do NOT have the dvd/cd with the OS or a good internet connection so I cant use either of those to bring my MacBook back to life. How do i fix this?

2. iGotaMac thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

If you're running Mountain Lion, that was unfortunately not the entire process needed. Basically, the Language Chooser isn't running because it's not being told to run, and the Setup Assistant won't run without that loaded first. I haven't tested this directly, but try this:

Boot into Single User Mode again (Cmd-S), and enter this command:
    Code:
    touch /var/db/.RunLanguageChooserToo
    That should create a small file called .RunLanguageChooserToo in the /var/db folder, which performs a similar task to the .AppleSetupDone file you deleted. It's not new in Mountain Lion, but it makes a huge difference, where before it was basically irrelevant.

jW

4. iGotaMac thread starter macrumors newbie

didnt work

the command didnt do anything, I still get the spin wheel and nothing happens