Mac Won't Boot Up!?!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rhcp1253, Jun 25, 2009.

1. rhcp1253 macrumors member

rhcp1253

i turned off my mac while it was booting up and now it just gets stuck at the white screen. will i have to reinstall the software? will i lose my files? please help.:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

2. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

How long does it generally take for nothing to happen?

What mac are you using? OS? Might make it easier to determine whats going on :)

Otherwise you can use shift to boot up in safe mode (without any drivers) or use cmd/apple which will enable you to choose your boot up disc.

You can also use the install disc (push and hold C when you turn on the machine) then run permissions repair in disk utility

PTP

3. rhcp1253 thread starter macrumors member

rhcp1253

i am running leopard 10.7 and right now i m in windows. could it be a memory problem? i only have 12 gigs of free space.

4. rhcp1253 thread starter macrumors member

rhcp1253

5. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

i would run a permissions repair from the DVD disk, and see what comes up.. you can also verify the disk..(repair if needed) Reinstalling the OS is kinda the last resort.. lol. hope that helps :)

PTP

6. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Yeah I would do this, and it would still be helpful to say what kind of mac you have and what OS. Put in your install disc and then reboot and hold the option/alt key when you boot up. Then don't go through the installer but go to the utilities menu and go into disk utility. Repair the permissions on the disk with OSX on it and then try and restart