Mac wont connect to internet but windows will??

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rhopper, Aug 12, 2010.

1. rhopper macrumors newbie

This is the ONLY time you'll hear me say windows did something "better" than mac..

I just moved into a new apartment which provides free wifi. I fired up my mac and it would barely see the network and wouldnt connect. I called them and told them about it and they said they would install a router closer to my apartment so I can get the signal.

I fired up my windows 7 netbook to get a file off it, and bam.. connected to the network no problem.. got on the internet, everything fine. I went back to the mac and i was able to get on the network (full bars now for some reason) but websites, mail.. anything that requires a connection wont work... any ideas??

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. rhopper thread starter macrumors newbie

how do you do that? (still new to macs)

edit: scratch that figured it out. it said the computer was unable to join the AirPort Network you selected. says i either put the name, password or security type wrong which there is no password so i put security "none", also says I may be out of range, but its showing all 4 bars now...

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

System Preferences -> Network -> Assist (or something similar) -> Diagnostic

It can also be found when Safari won't connect, there is link for network diagnostic

5. rhopper thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah its still not working, and Ive tried on both firefox and safari. mail wont connect either.. It cant be out of range otherwise this little netbook wouldnt be on.. and has a pretty strong connection via wireless...

6. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

What kind of accesspoint/router do you have? Is it upgraded with the latest firmware?

7. rhopper thread starter macrumors newbie

you got me, its the apartment that gives out the free wifi, i am not using a router. I am going to call them tomorrow and find out what the heck is going on.. it just doesnt make sense that my netbook connects just fine, but my iMac doesnt..

8. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

The first things I would try are to change the DNS settings. The DNS settings being used are probably from the ISP and these can be poor at best. I use Comcast and had to change mine due to the same type of issues you are having here are instructions on how to do it and what settings to use. In addition I will provide a MacWorld article that discusses the problem and how to solve it.

1. System preferences
    2. Network
    3. Click Advanced
    4. Click DNS tab
    5. Click + sign
    6. Add 208.67.222.222
    7. Click + sign
    8. Add 208.67.220.220
    9. Click OK.
    10. Exit System Preferences
    11. Try out your iMac and report what happened.

The MacWorld article is located at:

http://www.macworld.com/article/146064/2010/02/troubleshootdns.html?t=234

Regards,

Roger

9. rhopper thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks this actually worked.. buuuuut the connection is slow as molasses. I am guessing because of the weak signal.. perhaps my netbook just has a better antenna *shrug* I am pretty much just going to have to get ahold of them and deal with them directly.. they are HORRIBLE at calling back though and nobody picks up because its a small company.

thanks though.

10. plunchbox macrumors newbie

I'm currently having the same problem. At my boyfriends, he has a DLINK wireless router that's never been a problem. We had it saying it was connected, but it couldn't find a server. It still works on his PC. We even tried with an ethernet cable, and no dice.
    This has been incredibly frustrating and I'm very new to owning a mac, I've attempted what's been suggested in this thread with no success.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'd love to be able to work at his house, lol.

11. mindquest macrumors regular

Read the Macworld article and downloaded the Namebench utility mentioned.
    http://code.google.com/p/namebench/

It picked a different DNS server which I switched to and immediately saw a huge speed bump.

Thanks

12. wirelessness macrumors 6502

The Airport does not seem to be functioning nearly as well as the other computers in my house. The wireless signal is pretty weak but most devices are able to find it and connect. Today the iMac would not connect to it at all. The Network Preferances actually locked up after trying so many times to connect and or run the diagnostics.

When I rebooted I forgot to hold the option key down so it booted to Windows 7 and proceeded to connect with more bars and work just fine.

The signal is poor but this is kind of a problem that should not be happening.