Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjddrum1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
Ok So I just redid my router with a WEP key to make it secure...well, the new windows laptop connects as well as my pc...but my macbook pro wont accept the WEP key...any idea why?

ab2650

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Ok So I just redid my router with a WEP key to make it secure...well, the new windows laptop connects as well as my pc...but my macbook pro wont accept the WEP key...any idea why?

Try putting a $ symbol before the WEP key.

ab2650

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
WPA is much more secure than WEP...just F.Y.I.

Very true. If you can use WPA, then forget WEP. However there is a lot of hardware out there that doesn't support WPA; If memory serves me right, some wireless adapters for game consoles.

ScottDrummer

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
Canada
I have a similar issue whereby, the router supports wpa and wep, however when i click on airport in toolbar and then my router, it asks for a wpa password only, no other options, ive tried the key with an $ and 0x and it dosnt accept it.
The only thing i can do is go to other, select my router from the list, select hex wep key, put in my key and it connects. which is a right pain as there is no option to save this key in the keychain via this method.
Ive tried changing from wep to wpa on the router, and it no longer accepts the key whichever way i do it.
any advice? its an orange broadband inventel wireless magic
Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.