Mac won't login after Yosemite update

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chalmerscameron, Oct 17, 2014.

1. chalmerscameron macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and also to mac. Last night I downloaded the latest OS X Yosemite. After downloading and installing the latest operating system, it simply freezes after putting my password in at the login screen. The grey bar starts to load and the freezes. To see if it was just taking it's time, I left it on the screen overnight however when I woke up 9 hours later it was the same. It launches fine in safe mode however with a flickering screen. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
    Cam

2. 576316 macrumors 601

Do you have a Time Machine backup from before you performed the update?

3. mike1123 macrumors 6502

mike1123

Sorry you're having issues.

Reboot the machine into the recovery partition by holding the alt/option key at power-on and selecting it. Open Disk Utility and repair disk permissions. Then run a verify disk. After that, hit restart, and upon power-on, hold down CMD(⌘ )+Option+P+R to reset the computer's PRAM.

Let us know if that works for you.

4. waitingallday macrumors member

I had the Same thing, and what worked for me was doing a recovery boot and then making sure that the start up disk was selected for my hard disk. Somehow it had become unselected.

5. chalmerscameron thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for such a late reply I've only just managed to get back on but thank you for all the advice! In the end I had to get my Mac replaced because even Apple could not figure out what was wrong with it!

6. Sgtarky macrumors regular

not sure I would go back to that store if they couldnt figure it out.