MAC won't play videos

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by KGFV, Mar 16, 2015.

1. KGFV macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I wonder if anyone can help? I have Quicktime, Peri, VLC Player, DivX and none of them will play mp4's, AVi's or anything video related. My flash player is up to date and plays youtube videos no problem. I am using Yosemite if that's any help? Files always start to open, says converting and then comes up it can't open.

I'm a bit of a novice so any help would be much appreciated. It's such a pain!!

2. gordon1234, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2015

gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

You're being far too vague. For instance, the behavior you described where it says "converting" is specific to QuickTime trying to play legacy formats. You said you installed VLC, but that message is not something VLC displays, so did you actually try to play your files in VLC, and if so, what happened?

You also described a bunch of different video formats with different playback requirements. The message you described, for instance, should not ever appear for a valid MPEG4 video container. If you're getting that with MP4 files, I strongly suspect they are not in fact MP4 files. Where did these files you're trying to play come from.?

3. KGFV thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, thats just my ignorance, will try and be more specific. I am concentrating on VLC player, i am concentrating on one file to narrow it down, it's an mp4 my sister sent me. It opens on my notepad so know it's fine. I have updated VLC player to the up to date, when i drag it and drop it onto the cone on my dock it opens VLC, it appears in the playlist but the duration says 00:00 and won't play

4. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

Does the file size match the size from your other system? It may have gotten corrupted in transit. Also, open the Terminal app in /Applications/Utilities, type "file" (without the quotes), put a space, then drag the file you're trying to play into the Terminal window, then hit Return. It should tell you what type of video file it is (regardless of file extension.)

5. KGFV thread starter macrumors newbie

The USB had corrupted the files when sending them over, thank you for you're help! Glad to have it sorted!