Mac wont read DVD-DLs

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by esadb, Jul 26, 2010.

1. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

So last night i wanted to upgrade my HD and i swapped it in. Then placed the snow leopard disc in.. started the boot and it wouldnt boot from the disc.

I tried my leopard disc then and it wouldnt read either. So i swapped my old hdd in and booted back into osx and everytime i placed either the snow leopard or leopard disk it would spend some time spinning/reading but then just spit the disc out.

Funny thing is that i actually upgraded from leopard to SL using that exact same disc (its not just an upgrade disc) and it booted fine.

I tried just a regular dvd/cd in my drive and it loaded right up.. so for some reason now i cant boot those two OSX dvds anymore.

What i was gonna do was boot using the disc start installling and then when it asks me use my time machine backup i have on my external to setup my mac as before.

Any help guys?

2. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Please forgive me for seeming ignorant, but did you press the "C" key when you started up your mac with the install disc in? That's the command for booting from a disc. Once again please forgive me if I seem ignorant, but your post didn't specify whether or not you pressed the key.

3. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

Yea i did.

What i did last night is i took made a 12gb partition in my external. Made a image of the cd using windows.. Place it on there. Then went onto my mac and in disk utilities made a restore thing onto that partition using the .dmg.

Started to boot and choose to restore from a time machine back up.. It failed... I guess my time machine thing is corrupt or something...

Now im gonna have to put the old drive back in.. go make a time machine backup.. Then put new drive in.. go into Time machine and then restore, after having to actually install OSX..

Worst experience ever!

4. greenday123 macrumors 6502

Well, your DVD drive is probably starting to go, two drives in my MacBook died, apples DVD drives are terrible lol