Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qveda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
I have a Mac Pro running Mac OS 10.8.2. Apparently I'm not good at properly ejecting USB or CF memory devices. I have some that when inserted produce the "Improperly Ejected" error and cannot be opened (or sometimes only open for a few seconds).

So now I have some CF cards and USB drives that can be read on Windows, will operate in a digital camera, but can't be read by my Mac.

Is there a way to fix the devices once they have apparently been damaged in this way ?

UPDATE: I noticed that if the CF card (plugged into my external USB card reader) is inserted while the Mac is powered off, then I power / boot up, the card is fine... no error message. Same with USB memory sticks. Otherwise, most of my CF cards or USB sticks get the Improperly Ejected error. What does this mean ?

Last edited:

qveda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
For the CF cards, try reformatting them in your camera, with the USB drives, try using Disk Utility to reformat them.

Tried reformatting the CF card in the camera, but still get the error message when I plug them into my USB card reader. They show up as an icon, but within seconds I get the error message, and they are not accessible via the Disk Utility.

But if I plug them into the card reader while computer is shut down, then power up, they show up just fine.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Tried reformatting the CF card in the camera, but still get the error message when I plug them into my USB card reader. They show up as an icon, but within seconds I get the error message, and they are not accessible via the Disk Utility.

But if I plug them into the card reader while computer is shut down, then power up, they show up just fine.

Sorry, it's beyond me, have you tried reformatting them with Disk Utility immediately after startup while they are in your reader? It's the only thing I can suggest for now.

qveda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Sorry, it's beyond me, have you tried reformatting them with Disk Utility immediately after startup while they are in your reader? It's the only thing I can suggest for now.

I've formatted them on my Windows laptop, and some in the camera itself, which didn't fix the problem, But reformatting on the Mac right after startup is worth a try. I also have Drive Genius. Perhaps that might have a better full erase/format option. sure is strange, no idea why inserting after start up would make a difference.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
I've formatted them on my Windows laptop, and some in the camera itself, which didn't fix the problem, But reformatting on the Mac right after startup is worth a try. I also have Drive Genius. Perhaps that might have a better full erase/format option. sure is strange, no idea why inserting after start up would make a difference.

Strange thought, but is it possibly dirty contacts on the CF card?

On another forum I found this topic, which may assist you.

qveda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Strange thought, but is it possibly dirty contacts on the CF card?

On another forum I found this topic, which may assist you.

Problem is that I have the same problem with USB memory sticks , or CF cards in USB card reader. Not 100% of the USB or CF's result in a error msg, but most of them do. So its not just the CF or the CF card reader. But so far, ones that do exhibit the problem seem to be OK if they are inserted prior to power-on boot.

I would guess it might be something with the Mac OS relating to USB, but that's just a guess. I believe I'm not the only one with this problem.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
But so far, ones that do exhibit the problem seem to be OK if they are inserted prior to power-on boot.

I would guess it might be something with the Mac OS relating to USB, but that's just a guess. I believe I'm not the only one with this problem.

That's why I provided the link I found above, it's an old thread but may work for you.

qveda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
That's why I provided the link I found above, it's an old thread but may work for you.

Almost looked like my USB hub might be the problem since in one case, plugging the USB drive directly into the Mac rather than into my ext hub seemed to solve the problem. But I continue to have problems with CF card. I suppose its possible that its a combination of USB hub, card reader etc. Which makes it a bit tricky to trace down the root cause.

I don't have the Developer tools installed. I've installed the Mac OS from downloads the last few times, so I don't have CDs that might include those tools. I'll see if I can download them from apple. I'll continue to experiment and report what I find.

qveda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Of course you could simply condition yourself to eject the SD card. :)

Right. But although I can't confirm 100%, I'm pretty sure that I get these error msgs on USB or CF devices that were never improperly ejected.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Food for thought.

Some Synology NAS models have SDHC readers (with a copy button too). A Synology NAS can add so much to your home network including TM backup might be worth looking at.
index.php

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.