Mac won't recognize both camcorder & hrd drive

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by steelhead52, Jan 30, 2010.

1. steelhead52 macrumors newbie

My iMac (OS X 10.4.11, 2GB), with which I've been struggling for hours, will only recognize my camcorder, I've figured out, if the Lacie hard drive is not connected Problem is, I want to capture vids from the camcorder with Final Cut and store them on the Lacie. I can capture the segment, unplug the camcorder, plug in the Lacie, and then save it, but I havew dozens of clips -- there must be a better way. Any suggestions?

2. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

Is this a new problem or something you've never tried before? My first inclination would be to try different firewire cables, especially the FW400 to mini as I've been through about three of those with our deck. Does your mac have a fw400 and an fw800 port. If the LaCie has fw800 try connecting it via that if you're daisy-chaining at the moment. If you have an fw800 port on the Mac but only fw400 on the drive, connecting with an 800 to 400 cable would be a possibility.

Is the camera DV/HDV? Bandwidth certainly shouldn't be the problem daisy-chained as it's only 25mbps. Cable connections are definitely what I'd be looking at here.

3. steelhead52 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. The Lacie (which has a few different jacks itself) goes (via the supplied cable) to a fw 800 on the Mac. Camcorder from dv to 6-point on the Mac. The Mac recognizes both the Lacie and camcorder, as long as they aren't plugged in at once. Not sure what you are suggesting with the cables.
    I suppose I could proceed by loading several vid segments on the Mac, then plugging/unplugging, transferring them to the Lacie and deleting them from the Mac so it doesn't clog up. There must be a better way, though.

4. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

That's a very odd one if they're both connected to different ports and working in the absence of the other. Have you tried daisy chaining the lacie and the camcorder on the firewire400 port?