Mac won't recognize ipods

Discussion in 'iPod' started by DrSolar, May 22, 2008.

1. DrSolar macrumors newbie

DrSolar

My first post!

I have 4 macs at the office and one of my staff wants to manage her music on the "public" 17" G5 iMac (running most current 10.4). When I connected the ipod, it would be recognized momentarily, then disappear off the desktop, never activating or being recognized by iTunes (most current version - just updated today). I connected the iPod Mini to my (DP 2.5 Ghz G5 tower - current Leopard) and it was recognized and I restored using the latest iPod software for her model.

When I reconnected to the iMac, I get the message "An iPod has been detected, but it could not be identified properly. Please disconnect and reconnect the iPod and try again." Every time I disconnect and reconnect, I get the same message.

I ran Diskwarrior on both computers and the iPod, and everything still happens as described above. Then, I tried my 3G Nano on the iMac and got the same message.

This seems to suggest the problem is with the iMac, rather than the iPods. The iMac functions fine in all other ways. It has no peripherals attached and no modifications.

Anyone out there had the same problem or have any suggestions for further diagnostics or solutions?

Thanks

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Welcome!

There's an extensive thread on this at Apple's site...

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1231103&tstart=0

But unfortunately, the only solution they recommend (on OS X -- there seems to be a fix for the same symptom on Windows, although it's not clear it happens for the same reason) is re-installing Tiger. :rolleyes:

3. DrSolar thread starter macrumors newbie

DrSolar

Mac does now recognize iPods

Yep, re-installing Tiger did the trick. You know, whenever I get to this point, I usually don't complain about doing the re-install, as there must be something significant wrong in order to necessitate it.