Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
I have 2 printers hooked to a windows xp computer and the printers are shared over the network...

when i try and add them with windows sharing in printers on mac..they dont show up? i entered the right username/password and it doesnt work? or they dont show up?

what do i do?

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
which printers are they? Do they work when hooked directly to the Mac?

its the newest mp160 one that is 99.99 on apple.com and is one of the free ones? and yes it worked directly hooked with usb...

but i want my iMac in my kitchen and brinters in the basement(where the xp computers are)

how do i make this work

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
I have 2 printers hooked to a windows xp computer and the printers are shared over the network...

when i try and add them with windows sharing in printers on mac..they dont show up? i entered the right username/password and it doesnt work? or they dont show up?

what do i do?

Install Bonjour on your PC.

Oh, and the ' key is next to Enter. ;)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I have the same problem at work, some of the network printers simply refuse to show up. I wish there was a box I could type their names into, does anyone know how to get one?

By the way, ' is next to Return, not Enter :)

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
whats bonjour? and how do i get it?

Bonjour is a nice simple networking thingy that Apple makes. In the past it was only available for Mac, but last year (I think it was) they released it for Windows. Do a search at the Apple download site and get your hands on it.

It makes networking printers much easier.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
By the way, ' is next to Return, not Enter :)

Heh heh, cheeky bugger. And I just noticed on my iBook that with my British keyboard, ' is next to \, not Return (the name of which comes from the good old days of 'carriage return' on typewriters).

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
Mac won't recognize printer

i have a printer on an xp computer installed and shared over my network? and my mac wont reconize the printer? why wont it work? i need to print!

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
i have a printer on an xp computer installed and shared over my network? and my mac wont reconize the printer? why wont it work? i need to print!

You already started another thread about this same problem. Did you try installing Bonjour on your PC like it was suggested to you?

What was the outcome of this? Still didn't work, or you didn't try it?

If you tried this, and it still doesn't work, then plug the printer directly into your Mac and print what you need to print that way.

There are a number of reasons why it isn't printing, but you need to be VERY VERY specific with your description of the problem. Is it switched on? Plugged in? Drivers installed? Mac compatible? (A lot of printers aren't). Can other computers on your network see it?

See what I mean?

Failing this, ask your dad to pay someone to come and set it up for you.

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
You already started another thread about this same problem. Did you try installing Bonjour on your PC like it was suggested to you?

What was the outcome of this? Still didn't work, or you didn't try it?

If you tried this, and it still doesn't work, then plug the printer directly into your Mac and print what you need to print that way.

There are a number of reasons why it isn't printing, but you need to be VERY VERY specific with your description of the problem. Is it switched on? Plugged in? Drivers installed? Mac compatible? (A lot of printers aren't). Can other computers on your network see it?

See what I mean?

Failing this, ask your dad to pay someone to come and set it up for you.

the printers are plugged in, on, installed and working(from windows side),shared over the network(other windows can see them)

its the cannon MP160 the free one with the mac....

i installed bonjour on my windows? and that doesnt do anything?

rgrcpa

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2008
Metairie LA
Download to where?

I am a newbie. I followed your suggestions to go seek out Bonjour to download. But, the download on the IMAC support page seems to require that I download it to my XP computers, not my IMAC. Is this right? If I don't have Bonjour on my IMAC, how can I find shared printers on my XPs. After all, that's what I wanna do: print on an XP computer with shared printers from my Imac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.