Mac won't recognize USB thumb drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ebeck1, Jun 8, 2011.

1. ebeck1 macrumors newbie

I got an i-ecko 8GB thumb drive from a friend and am not able to use it on my mac. From my windows based desk top I reformatted it to FAT32 and the mac still wouldn't recognize it. I decided to reformat it to NTFS, which my mac then recognized it, but obviously I couldn't put anything on the thumb drive. I reformatted it back to FAT32 hoping that it would fix the problem, but once again the mac would not recognize it.

I made sure to check that the ports were working properly and they are. My windows desk top recognizes it and is able to store data. Any suggestions?

2. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

Try resetting the SMC. That fixed the one time my computer wouldn't recognize a flash drive I knew was working.

3. ebeck1 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. simsaladimbamba

Have you tried formatting it via Disk Utility?

5. ebeck1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've heard that the NTFS software for mac isn't that reliable, but I'll give it a try.

6. ebeck1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Did some searching and found that someone had said this: "I should also mention that at both the MacRumors forum (mentioned) and the Apple forums there has been considerable reporting that doing this (native NTFS support enabling on snow leopard) leads to system instability and possible loss of data. BE WARNED!"

Any other ideas?

7. simsaladimbamba

You could install the NTFS-3G driver listed in that quote I posted.