Mac won't recognize Windows installer USB

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by kv501, Feb 9, 2016.

1. kv501 macrumors newbie

Wondering if any of you had experienced the same issues I'm having and could provide a solution. I am not a Mac power user so keep that in mind and go easy.

I have a late '14 Retina iMac, i7, 500SSD, and for my employment I have to install Windows.

I purchased Windows 10 as a download from Microsoft, and attempted to install it using Boot Camp. Here is as concise as I can describe my problem:

I downloaded the .iso image, then started Boot Camp. All 3 boxes were checked in order to create a partition, download updates, and install Windows. I selected 50GB for a partition size and clicked continue. Everything went fine with the download and disk creation, and when it was finished the disk showed up in finder as WININSTALL. My understanding was that after that my machine would restart automatically, boot from the USB, and install Windows.

It did restart automatically, but instead of booting from the USB it went right to my OS X login as if nothing was there. So...I restarted, holding the option key to see if I could boot that way. No dice, it didn't recognize the USB and only showed me the Macintosh HD as an option. As a last chance I went back into Boot Camp to try to install it from there and I got the error message that it couldn't recognize and installer, and told me to insert the disk and wait a few seconds. I never did get it to show up.

The flash drive is a brand new PNY 32GB USB 3.0. Could that be the problem? I have read some people had issues with USB 3.0 drives on Windows 7/8 installations, but I thought surely it would not be a problem in W10. Would it be worth the time to create a new one with a USB 2.0 flash drive and see if it works? I'd be unbelievably appreciative if anyone could help me through this and get it installed on my machine. The $120 comes from my pocket and right now it's the same as if I had thrown the money in the trash. Thanks in advance for any help!

2. kv501 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update...

I created the installer on a USB 2.0 drive and everything worked 100%.

I guess to change my question, why would this be the case?

3. kv501 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

A pure guess is that the USB hardware requires drivers that aren't present until after the OS is loaded.