Mac won't start up after Office update!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jemdm, May 21, 2008.

1. jemdm macrumors newbie

I was working on my G5 (OS Tiger 10.4.11) and the Microsoft Update alert came up for Office 2004. Without reading it (duh!), I clicked update. It installed fine. I opened Microsoft Word, made a change to one of my documents. I attached the doc to an email I had to send and Mail just quit. Tried to reopen and it quit again and again. I did a restart, but now all I get is the grey screen with an Apple and spinning gear. I've tried restarting holding the option key, "S" key, P R keys, but to no avail. Any suggestions?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Sounds like a coincidence, and it hasn't got anything to do with the office update...

How long have you left it to restart?

3. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Boot holding down the shift key until you see the grey screen with spinning gear. This boot takes more time than a usual boot because it is doing a lot in the background (removing some cache files and running/repairing your file system). When completed you will see the login screen with "Safe Boot" in red. At this point you can hit the back button and restart normally.

Remember that this "Safe Boot" takes time and could take between 10 -15 minutes before you see a login screen.

4. jemdm thread starter macrumors newbie

All day!

I'll try that. Thanks!

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Cool, that's plenty long enough, just that some people can be impatient and only leave it for a couple of minutes.