Mac wont start up - tried all guides

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ksfmac, May 2, 2012.

1. ksfmac, May 2, 2012
    Last edited: May 2, 2012

ksfmac macrumors newbie

Hi guys

I've got an iMac Late model 2006, running on 10.4.

This morning I met the mac with a jammed black blank screen and the spinning rainbow wheel. I did a force restart and now the machine won't start up.

I get chime and grey screen.

What I've done:
    1. Restart with no external devices like external HDs, printer etc
    2. Reset the PRAM
    3. Use the [old] original OSX disc with is 10.0.3, to attempt to get into disc utility - no luck, just folder with a question mark.
    4. Use the apple hardware disc - folder with question mark
    5. I can't access the single user mode (Im not sure if I had set the password or not ) IT just stays as blank grey screen
    6. Nothing but grey screen when trying to manually open firmware

I really don't want to just replace the HD or take it to a tech - it's a work machine, is there any other option I have?

2. ksfmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Also don't think that replace the HD would work, as the start up installation disc is not loading...

3. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

There is no way that a 2006 (Intel) iMac would be able to boot form a 10.0.3 disk (or even a 10.3 disk, if that is what you meant to type).

There is a strong possibility that it IS the hard drive.

Why not take it to a tech if it is a business machine? Repair expenses are a write-off and if the machine is business critical a tech will likely get you back on the road a lot more quickly.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Almost guaranteed it's the hard drive, but it could be logic board, RAM, etc. Take it to a tech, that means it'll get done right and without futzing around. Doubly true if you don't have a backup.

jW

5. ksfmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, getting to a tech is little difficult, but seems we may have to make a day drive..

Thanks for the replies.. will keep u guys posted.