Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oneofakid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2014
I have a 2011 macbook pro with Mavericks installed. I was working on a document when my mac shut down randomly. I turned back on, to find that it won't boot. I went in recovery mode>disk utility>verify disk. There was an error, so I repaired my hard drive. But I got the message that my disk is corrupt and that I should back up all files. Unfortunately, I don't have a time machine disk to automatically back up to. I'd really like to fix my hard drive (startup drive), but also not lose my files on it! I do not know how though, since I can't boot up, I can't back up. How can I do this??? :confused:

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
Do an internet recovery it should install the os again without the loss of your data, worth a try if it fails the only option is to format and install. People always realize the importance of backups when issues kike this happen. The cost is just that of an external hard drive and just a few minutes to an hour to back up while the cost to retrieve data is pretty high.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I have a 2011 macbook pro with Mavericks installed. I was working on a document when my mac shut down randomly. I turned back on, to find that it won't boot. I went in recovery mode>disk utility>verify disk. There was an error, so I repaired my hard drive. But I got the message that my disk is corrupt and that I should back up all files. Unfortunately, I don't have a time machine disk to automatically back up to. I'd really like to fix my hard drive (startup drive), but also not lose my files on it! I do not know how though, since I can't boot up, I can't back up. How can I do this??? :confused:

If it's a 15" or 17" 2011 model with the Radeon GPU, Radeongate has hit your MBP.

Radeongate is the catastrophic GPU failure that has struck a hell of a lot of 2011 15"/17"s lately.

I was one of those affected.

It's a $300 logic board replacement.

Graphic nature

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2011
I have a Early 2011 Macbook Pro 17....I just experienced this last night.

Looks like this is becoming common....I have a appointment in a couple days at the Genius Bar...I will give you a follow up.

Thing I'm most worried about is that I purchased AppleCare when I bought the laptop in March/April of 2011...I'm 1.5-ish months out of warranty :( I hope Apple will make right with this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.