Mac won't startup

Discussion in 'macOS' started by oxcug, Oct 3, 2011.

1. oxcug macrumors newbie

Alright so I was tyring to re-format my macbook pro that is on 10.6.8 and It rebooted and now it wont start up. It goes to the apple logo and the pin wheel doesn't show, it just stays at the grey apple. Anyone have any tips on how to fix this?

2. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

These are more or less the correct steps on how to re-format and clean install OS X. Check that your not missing any.

3. oxcug thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks but...

The EXACT same thing happens. It's just stuck at the apple logo with no spinwheel.

4. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

Hold down the (command)  key+ P+R immediately at start up all together at once and hold them down until your Mac restarts and chimes 3 times counting the start up.

DON'T LET IT CHIME / RESTART MORE THEN 3 TIMES!!!!!!!!

That clears the PRAM and that may help. Otherwise do all the steps Quad5Ny mentioned again and see if that does anything. If all of this fails something else is wrong could be RAM, could be one of many parts of the hard drive, logic board. So hard to tell. Hope this helps, otherwise I'd be happy to help you further if you wanna drop it by for service.

5. oxcug thread starter macrumors newbie

Arlight so my computers chime is turned off.....
    :eek: so what do i do now? Also what do you mean by DON'T LET IT CHIME / RESTART MORE THEN 3 TIMES!!!!!!!! And I tried holding command+p+r down and nothing happend...

6. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

Don't zap the PRAM more then 3 times consecutively it has been known to fry logic boards past 3. I don't know why, but I've seen it happen before ( and was warned by Apple that 3 times is the max, 4 may kill the board). So then if you have no sound on, don't let it reboot more then 3 times.

If you didn't mute the computer, sometimes no sound/ startup chime can also be a bad indication that your mac may need to go in for service.

7. oxcug, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011

oxcug thread starter macrumors newbie

nothing still is working....

Alright so I've tried all the suggestions, and nothing is working still. I've tried booting from the OS X snow leopard disk again too.

EDIT: Alrigth guys so I was resetting the pram wrong. you have to hold command+option+p+r
    That did the trick!

8. eljanitor, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011

eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

(command)+option+p+r : Sorry about that, Yep thems the keys been dong it so long I forget which keys they are just hold em down.

Glad that worked.