Mac won't startup

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tonkz, May 7, 2009.

1. Tonkz macrumors newbie

My mac won't start up, it is always stuck on the Silver apple screen with a loading wheel. I need the files inside the mac.
    I tried:
    1) tried using installer disc to boot my drive, but it keeps on spitting the disc out.
    2) Command-Option-P-R Reset Parameter RAM (PRAM) and non-volatile RAM (NVRAM) when booting
    3) got the following error in verbose mode: disk0s2: 0xe0030005(undefined) and then keeps returning, 'could not create "file system unmounted" notification'.

Anyone has a suggestion to solve the problem?:(

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

3. Tonkz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep I know that I also found that when I google my problem, but I don't have another mac but I got a windows pc. Thanks for the information though. Is putting mac os in the pc via virtual machine helps with the firmwire target disk mode?

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I really don't know. I did find this Wikipedia page on Targeted Disk Mode and if you scroll down to the Host Computer Requirements it talks about a kind of way to hook up Windows, but I've never done it so not sure about the success rate.

Maybe another forum member has been down this road and will chime in. I've only used TDM maybe two times.

5. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

It may be the system battery (can't remember the acronym).

6. Tonkz thread starter macrumors newbie

So you're saying my battery has the problem? but whats that have to do with the startup can somebody please explain that to me?

well I was thinking is it possible that I convert the installer disc to an iso then put it on my usb so that I can use the installer?

7. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

That iso idea won't work.

Anyways, the battery keeps a bit of power going to the computer so it can keep the time among other things. It is usually the case with a Mac that won't start.

They're about $5. Do a google search for your computer model battery.

8. Tonkz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info, but my my mac starts but loads on the silver screen for a few minutes (1-4?) then hangs.

9. frenetic macrumors regular

Tonkz, when does the computer spit out your cd? Immediately when you insert or later, after you have started up?

In any case, try starting up with the mac os CD inside and holding the C button (immediately after the boooin), that should in principle force it to start up from the cd and from there on you can check whether the hard disk is still fine (it sounds to me that your hard disk is toast).
    Frenetic

10. Tonkz thread starter macrumors newbie

I did try that technique it didn't work. the hd is fine I checked it on the command line, but I'm not too sure about the optical drive...

11. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Verbose mode saying that the file system is unmounted could be referring to a hard drive error, which is what it sounds like to me other than the fact it is spitting the system disc out (though I have seen that before). Could be physical, or better yet that the OS just needs to be reinstalled.

Can you boot up while holding down the option key? If so, try to boot up to the system disc using that method if possible.

Have a friend that has a Mac? If so, try to get a similar one (if yours is a PPC, you'll need the same one, or if it's Intel, and then might matter if it is also a Core Duo or Core Single, whatever your machine is), and see if you can boot up his OS. You boot the other Mac into Target Disk Mode and then hold down the Option key while booting yours and select his drive to boot from.

This is of course assuming that the Option boot works for you, but would potentially narrow your problem down a bit more.

12. Tonkz thread starter macrumors newbie

I can boot up up to the silver screen while holding the option key if that was what you are trying to say. I'm not too sure on what your trying to say about the boot up to system disc using that method, can you explain it to me more clearly? Well...I'm not too sure if I got friends with mac though, I'll try to ask them