Mac won't turn on, not responding at all.

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by lukestroh, Dec 25, 2014.

1. lukestroh macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro 13 in. (Mid 2012)
    Running Mavericks
    8 GB RAM (installed myself)

Ever since I updated to Mavericks, my computer has gone into a hibernation mode (like when the battery becomes too low to leave the computer running) every time I leave the computer charging overnight. It does not do this if an external device (iPod, hard drive) is plugged in. Fortunately, this has not been a problem: I just let the computer reboot and everything works as if it had just gone to sleep.

Last night, I was using my computer like normally, shut the lid, expecting it to be in its hibernation mode in the morning. My brother removed the charger in the morning and began charging his own computer, and the usual awakening-from-hibernation sound went off (it does this even when closed). I returned to turn on my computer but alas, it did not do as such. Instead the screen remained black, the charger did not light up at all, and even the battery level showed not even a single green dot.

I have removed and reconnected the connector from the battery to the logic board, but to no avail. I recall that my battery has just passed 500 charge cycles, but it is designed for 1000.

Thank you so much for any help you offer.

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Sounds like your battery has reached an early death...

Try a good reset:
    Disconnect power adapter for next steps (also unplug from wall for next couple of minutes)
    1. Make sure that power is OFF by holding the power button for at least 5 seconds.
    2. SMC reset by pressing (left side keys only) Shift-Control-Option plus the power button, all at the same time, then release.
    REPEAT steps 1 and 2 (not required, but something that I do, as it takes only a few seconds)
    Power adapter is still not connected.
    Press the battery test button. Any response from the test lights?

Inspect the magsafe plug, both on adapter and the internal connector on your MBPro for foreign materials and broken parts.
    Plug in to wall, then plug in to your MBPro. Don't try to power on, just let sit for a couple of minutes.
    Does the Magsafe LED come on? If no light, let it sit for another couple of minutes.
    If light appears, also wait a couple of minutes, then press battery test button.
    Any lights now? if there is response, I think you should then just let it sit and charge for 10 minutes or so. After that time, press and release the power button. System Preferences, Startup Disk, set your boot drive so that's done.
    Make sure time and date are current.
    Go to your System Information, Power tab. Check battery health there.
    How many Cycles shows there now?
    What is the Maximum Charge Capacity reported in that screen?

If you don't get this far - likely just a failed battery.
    I was going to also suggest a failing power adapter, but if it works fine on your brother's MBook, that's less likely.

3. lukestroh thread starter macrumors newbie

Nada

Mag light is a very very dim green, no signal from battery test button.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Be sure to try a different power adapter, if you have one available.
    Check for the same "dim" green LED.

curious - why does your brother need to borrow your adapter?
    Is his lost, or not working?

The dim green LED can also be a faulty magsafe board (holds the connector where you attach your power adapter), but I still say your battery may have failed.

And, (I usually ask with this kind of symtom) is there any history of a liquid spill, even several months back?

5. lukestroh thread starter macrumors newbie

Of course I tried with a different adapter, same result.

Does it matter if he uses my charger? We're brothers, we communally use chargers throughout the house. Same laptops.

No known liquid spill.

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Just trying to eliminate possibilities.
    If your brother is using your charger because his has failed, then his may have problems that spread to a second charger (yours :D )
    Might happen, so that's why I asked about that. But you have tried the other charger which works fine with your brother, so the problem is only in yours, eh?

So, you can eliminate the charger.
    That leaves your Magsafe board, or the battery. Those are the easy ones (and less expensive). If neither help, then you have one item left - the logic board.

If you have AppleCare (warranty for 3 years) that you purchased, then it's easy - take to your local Apple Store, or an Apple-authorized service provider. Apple should fix that under warranty. Be prepared, that even within the 3 year period, Apple does not always replace a failed battery under warranty, unless it can be shown that it is a factory defect. They may consider it a normal exhausted battery, and you would then pay for the new battery. You can't always predict what Apple might do, until you ask them.
    If it is the logic board - and you don't have AppleCare coverage, ask your Apple service shop about the "flat-rate repair program". If it is available to you, the repair will be significantly less expensive.