Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nmonkee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
short: mac:word removes spaces from documents randomly.

long: At first I thought it might be an issue with windows:word 2007 users and mac:word 04/08 users working on the same documents; however, I have had several instances were a mac:word 04/08 document that is created, edited, saved and re-opened on OSX (Leopard 10.5.2) without interaction with Windows; has spaces throughout randomly removed.

This is most annoying. I have found it hard to find other users experiencing this. Googling for the issue or searching in various forums just presents complaints and whines about interoperability with Leopard spaces. This is a much bigger and more frustrating issue, trust me!

Versions:

OSX Leopard 10.5.2
mac:word 2008 v12.0.1 (08305)
mac:word 2004

ischilling

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2008
mac:word 04/08 random removal of spaces : same here

Hallo,

we found the same issue. In our case the document (docx) was created with the PC version of Office 2007 incl. all current ServicePacks and Hotfixes. After several working cycles between Office 2008 for Mac and the PC, obviously several spaces simply disappeared.

We were not able to reproduce the bug itself but thanks to our workflow found out that on the Mac Office, the document looks pretty fine, incl. all Spaces – opening the same doc on the PC again, those spaces are missing.

Saving it (on the PC) and reopening it on the Mac results in missing spaces here as well.

The strange thing is, we worked this way several times on the same document and only the last version – the one before we sent out the docx and created the PDF from it – contained this problem.

We just reported this as an bug to Microsoft, meanwhile maybe someone has a good idea – to us, the work around is now that we enforce our staff to proof-read the entire documents before sending them out instead of only proof-reading last changes only.

Ingo-Stefan Schilling

messedkid

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2007
Oshawa, ON
I get the same problem with PowerPoint.

Had to do a presentation on "Strikes in Germany" a few weeks ago. Kept the entire class waiting while I went back and added every space where I needed one. :D

We all had a good laugh.

sokko

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2008
Got the same problem with Word and Powerpoint.
Updating to Office 2008, version 12.1.2 (080729) offers no solution...

The Leopard Spaces problem is annoying, but this random removal of spaces between words forced me back to Windows XP.
I'm furious :mad:

alexnyc

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2008
missing spaces

I recently downloaded the latest update and have 12.1.3 and this problem still persists. It makes it impossible to send docs to people who use windows.

I make my living writing- sending and receiving docs to and from PC's - and this has been a disaster for me. I've been a mac user for 6 years, but this is making me want to switch back! Does anyone know if someone is working on this issue? I found nothing on the microsoft website.

nadyne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Mountain View, CA USA
I recently downloaded the latest update and have 12.1.3 and this problem still persists. It makes it impossible to send docs to people who use windows.

I make my living writing- sending and receiving docs to and from PC's - and this has been a disaster for me. I've been a mac user for 6 years, but this is making me want to switch back! Does anyone know if someone is working on this issue? I found nothing on the microsoft website.

This issue was fixed by the Word for Windows team, and was released to the public in their September hotfixes. Please make sure that the Windows user that's experiencing this problem has updated their copy of Office 2007 to the latest patches. More information about this fix is available in this Microsoft Knowledge Base article.

If you're still seeing this issue after the Windows Office user has updated, I'll need some more information to try to track down what's happening. In particular, I'll need:
1. What version of Office:Mac you're using
2. What version of Office for Windows they're using
3. How you're saving the file (.doc, .docx, something else) - if at all possible, getting a copy of the file would be terrific

Regards,
Nadyne.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.