Mac Word 2008: Hyperlinking/linking within a word document?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shoelessone, Aug 20, 2014.

1. shoelessone macrumors 6502

Hello! A friend came over tonight and had a question about Word 2008. Generally, I'm the go-to computer guy, but it turns out I'm a software developer and know basically nothing about Word. So, I told him I'd do my best to get him an answer!

So, here we go:

My buddy has basically a large word document, including a relatively significant table of contents. The issue here is that the various headings of the document has no "semantic" value. I.e. they weren't created with any of Word's table of contents/index/etc tools. It's just text.

His goal is to be able to make the various parts of the index clickable. But he wants to be able to manually create these links, nothing fancy. In the past I guess he used something like "bookmarks" to make links within a document, but apparently this version of word (Mac Word 2008) doesn't work in the same way (?).

To recap: he basically wants to highlight a word or sentence (etc), and make it so when clicked the user is brought down to a particular section of the document.

Thanks in advance for any help/tips!

2. onekerato macrumors regular