Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mganeles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
Hello,

I work a lot from home on a MacBook Pro using WORD for MAC for a legal firm that uses Windows machines. I either email or upload my files to my boss through VPN and our server at the office. My boss says he has to have the secretaries reformat almost all the legal documents I create in MacBookPro Word for Mac when he opens them on his PC MS Word, so he wants to buy me :eek: a Windows machine for my home office. Please no!!!!

Anyone know what's up with the compatibility between the MS Word programs on these two platforms? These legal docs are very specific formatting and they are always messed up, so he wants to buy me a Windows machine (I've been using Macs since mid 1990's and don't want a Windows machine).

Does anyone know what the problems may be, and how to avoid them, and also, would Windows for Mac help and if so, then do I get MS Word for Windows to load on the Mac?

Mac OS X 10.6
Word for Mac 2011, Version 14.2.2

Confused. Thanks, Mamaglee

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Make sure you have the same fonts on both systems. Also, make sure both are formatted for the same printer, with the same margins, page sizes, etc.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Yeah try the suggestion above. I have that problem with mortgage calculation spreadsheets. If that doesn't work, you can get a copy of Windows and use Parallels or VMWare Fusion.

DeadMAze

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2012
Hey! am just done with summer holidays... i rly wanted to have a pro studying pc but not to much. So i just needed to know if there is going to be any problems with making the Mac files work with the microsoft word (the whole school uses windows pc.

So my question is are there going to be much problems between the macbook air and some og the teatcher pc`s??? pls help me! :confused:

Sry for bad writing :c

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
I had this problem with PowerPoint. The fonts were on my Mac, but they had been disabled. Open the app called Font Book on your Mac and make sure that the Microsoft fonts are enabled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.