Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tim1978

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2004
is .mac worth it? I have an imac and a powerbook. I would use the email but I am not interested in storing or backing stuff up on line and do not want to create a web site.

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
What about syncing?

You left out what, to me, is the one and only reason to have .Mac. Are your computers kept in different locations and do you want to keep them synced?

.Mac is an absolute godsend if one of your computers is at home and the other is at work and you want to keep your iCal, Addressbook, and Mail all synced up. Otherwise, you're pretty much having to decide on which is your "primary" machine and only entering data onto it. What a pain.

That said, I really wish .Mac would introduce iPhoto syncing. Now *that* would be great.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
As is, No

I've renewed the last couple of times, but mainly just to keep my .Mac email address going.

Haven't used iDisk much in Tiger, but in Panther, it was pretty useless because it was SO slow. If Apple made it faster and increased the disk size to 1GB, it'd be a lot more useful.

All the extra download stuff is fluff for the most part. The syncing feature is OK but it's fairly limited.

Alasta

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2005
Wellington, New Zealand
tim1978 said:
is .mac worth it? I have an imac and a powerbook. I would use the email but I am not interested in storing or backing stuff up on line and do not want to create a web site.

My main motivation for subscribing was for Virex, but I note that they've stopped promoting this feature. I've heard that Tiger users have experienced some problems using Virex, and I've no idea whether McAfee intend to address this problem.

I find the website builder pretty good (albeit chronically slow) but, if all you really want is an email address, then there must be much cheaper options.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
get it. best 70 bucks i every convinced my parents to shell out by telling them i needed an AV program :p but seriously, virex gives me peace of mind what with these "widgets of doom" even though i still run panther, idisk is cool for sharing stuff, incredibly easy homepage creation, plus you can change your homepage *anywhere* in *any recent browser* and tons of cool stuff. plus you can tell your friends (my email address is at mac<dot>com! i just got it last night and i've already made a homepage, backed up a lot of stuff to my idisk, done a virus scan, i now use my .mac id for aim and set up Mail to use it, so many things you can do with it, not even mentioning syncinf features, ical, icards, etc.

deelerious

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2005
dongmin said:
... If Apple made it faster and increased the disk size to 1GB, it'd be a lot more useful.

You can increase the disk size to 1GB for an additional $49/yr.

jemeinc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2004
South Jersey
Alasta said:
My main motivation for subscribing was for Virex, but I note that they've stopped promoting this feature. I've heard that Tiger users have experienced some problems using Virex, and I've no idea whether McAfee intend to address this problem.

Virex 7.2 seems to work fine with Tiger- 7.5 doesn't... Odd, but true...

deltrotter

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2004
I just reinstalled Tiger yesterday and set myself up with a @mac.com email address. Does this address expire if i don't subscribe to .mac?

Cheers

Del

javiercr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
London
too small for storage or email

tim1978 said:

the idea of .mac isc cool but it's too expensive when gmail and aol are giving you 2Gb's of email for free!

oriol

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2005
right behind ya!
deltrotter said:
I just reinstalled Tiger yesterday and set myself up with a @mac.com email address. Does this address expire if i don't subscribe to .mac?

Cheers

Del

i asked the same thing like 1 week ago and not after .Mac expires u can keep ur @mac.com account.

my two cents

J_Berg

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2004
Seattle
intranet version of .mac (or similair)?

I really like .mac to sync my files between my laptop and my desktop. But I have no need to keep them online (other than the piece of mind of having them instantly backed up.) Is there any software out there that any of you are using that works to sync folders between two computers on on network? I'd love to keep my home directory identical on both machines, instead of waiting for large files to upload to the .mac server.

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
jemeinc said:
Virex 7.2 seems to work fine with Tiger- 7.5 doesn't... Odd, but true...

I noticed they have changed their Virex page stating this now as well!
So I guess there is no short term fix for 7.5 - so looks like I have to go back to 7.2.

Many others reload this?

ObsidianIce

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
Seventh Circle of Hell
deltrotter said:

Cheers

Del

The account will expire if you don't renew. you will lose the ability to use it for email. The only thing you'll be able to still use it for if you don't renew is ichat.

sinisterdesign

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2003
atlanta
to me, it's been totally worth it. i was lucky enough to be working at Apple when they introduced .Mac, so they gave all the employees accounts the same as their @apple.com account, so it's just my last name. best email address i've ever had.

but it's not just the email. i use the iDisk more than i thought. i'm a designer & when i need to get a large file to the printer, i can throw it up on my .mac page, send them the link and they can download the file through their browser. we have a +/-3MB limit to files going through email here at work & it's nothing for me to have a 40MB ad or poster.

the iSync has saved me a couple times, too when i forgot someone's # or email, i realized that my work computer synced w/ my home computer, so it's already in my address book.

photos may not me a priority for you, but it's REALLY cool if you want to share some photos of say, your dog or your new place w/ people. just create a photo album in iPhoto, pick a theme, hit 'publish' & it's done.

but if it's solely for email...prob not worth it...

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
they might be making updates to .mac today that make it more desireable - it will be down today during the keynote. check out the 'something big is going to happen today' thread...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.