.Mac worth ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rwdebes, Jul 4, 2007.

1. rwdebes macrumors 6502

i would like some opinions from who have .imac

really worth 99U$ a year ?

2. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

It's a personal thing.

I've been running Linux since 1999, and personal www/ftp/email/etc over the same period of time.

But I just bought a .Mac family pack for $90 (don't buy .Mac straight from Apple -- you can get better deals elsewhere) because, to be perfectly honest, I don't feel like messing with all that crap anymore.

With .Mac and iLife, all of the basics of building a web presence are there (and amazingly simple), and you also get some perks like iDisk, which is nice for people who want to back up a relatively small amount of data offsite, and syncing address books and calendars and stuff like that.

The general rule with all things Apple applies here too. Steve Jobs is a benevolent dictator with good taste. He charges a lot, and he doesn't allow much in the way of individuality or customization.

So if you like the way .Mac works, then buy it! If you want something different, there are other solutions out there for much less money (often free).

You're the only person who can judge it, really.

3. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

If you plan on using every feature of .mac it's worth it. If you're only going to use a couple of things, it's not.

4. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

YES would also add

If you have multiple macs its worth a look

What I found really disappointing in the .Mac mail on-line is its VERY poor searching capabilities compared with spotlight

I would add you need a really fast DSL connection as iDISK is pedestrian also the IMAP access to email is not actually slow connection friendly either

5. adrake86 macrumors regular

If you want to create a web site in like 10 minutes .mac is worth it. You can put up a fairly nice site very fast and works great. I personally think the .mac is worth it.

6. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

I buy the dot mac when I get machines so I try to get it at the $69 price. My current dot mac expires in a few months and I don't think I will renew. It does not seem to be worth the price. I am trying the google alternatives.

7. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Search the forums for dozens of .Mac threads that cover all you need to know- I personally think it is worth it as I sync three macs together with my bookmarks, address book, 8 iCal calendars all across those three macs! that alone is worth it to me and my wife. I also use the email as my primary and find it extremely reliable in the last year+, I make web sites in five minutes (not ten like the previous poster!!:D ) I also use Backup to backup daily the basic things such as book marks, address books, calendars, and a few other personal data things such as my finances, etc.

I am hoping there are going to be major .Mac upgrades this fall with the new OSX as hinted to by Steve himself!

8. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Me, too. I put up photos on a web page for the folks back home. I also sync bookmarks, contacts, keychains and mail settings between three computers.

BTW don't take this the wrong way but perhaps your question should have included the reason you're considering subscribing to it. Answers could then address whether .Mac meets your requirements. :)

9. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

It's expensive, but like others have said easy to use and useful. I'm about to renew.

10. twomiracles macrumors regular

Is anyone using it as your outbound mail server? I asked a question here about a problem I have with my new ISP's outbound server and haven't gotten a response so I'm afraid their outbound server may just not work with the default mail client on the mac...so I'm wondering if using .mac is the solution to that problem. I use gmail for almost everything so I can check it online, but I have a couple of pop3 accounts I need to check as well and I like having folders to keep stuff in so I really don't want to go completely to gmail. I also have space on a Linux box including a blog and photo gallery so I don't honestly need those features, but I am at a loss as to how to handle my email and am wondering if .mac is the answer. Has anyone had success with their outbound server for accounts other than the mac.com one?