mac wouldn't boot, flashing folder icon, keychain disappeared

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Patrick-32, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Patrick-32 macrumors member

MBP LATE 2011
    EL CAPITAN

Out of nowhere last night my mac shut down and would not start, it kept flashing an icon like a folder, and then showing able logo and restarting, no idea how it happened, it took me 6hrs before it started working, but since i logged in all my keychain has disappeared.

When the laptop was restarting and going back to fashion icon folder at start up, at one stage it came up with code. Never seen it before, had not time to take a photo. it reminded me of windows BSOD error, but this was in top left.

Im concerned about who all my login details have disappeared. the laptop works now but i'd really like to know what happened.

Laptop worked perfectly until last night when this happened.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 18, 2016 ---
    here was what i was seeing

Attached Files:

• mm.jpg
      mm.jpg
      File size:
      60.1 KB
      Views:
  2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Looks like the computer is unable to find a bootable volume. Can you try rebooting into the recovery partition (cmd-r)?

3. Patrick-32 thread starter macrumors member

Yes thats working, Can i fix it?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Check the drive for errors by running Disk Utility, if it comes up clean try re-installing OS X.

If you have access to your data on the drive, I'd look to somehow back it up before doing anything else.

5. Patrick-32, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016

Patrick-32 thread starter macrumors member

I am u
    I did a disk first aid. My hard drive is an SSD about 6months old. I have taken out the optical drive and used a caddy so the disk drive is now where optical drove was and i run the OS from the SSD.

Is there a way of reinstalling the oS while keeping programs and files?
    Is there a way to find the keychain login or are they gone now?

I have it backed up with time machine it think, is there a way to get the passwords back instead of the whole thing?