Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imac abuser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
I have had .mac for 2 years now, and it's renewal time. I don't know if I feel it's worth the $99. What do you think?

Chris

imac abuser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
Yeah, I only like the quick posting for the web pages, the online address book, and the sync if I need to reformat, but not sure if I can justify it.

chris

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
I never used it when I had it. That's a nice little chunk of money. (Think computer accessories;) ) The only 2 things I liked was the online address book and checking my e-mail from anywhere, but I since found out my ISP provides that too. I once heard an argument from a fellow .Mac user that without .Mac you cant access your e-mail when you are away from your machine. Yes, you can, with almost every ISP. Those 2 things were all I needed it for, but if I can do it for free why pay $100 a year? Some people use the features, I don't. It sounds to me like you don't really use it enough to justify paying that price.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I never thought .Mac was worth what they are charging. The address book syncing can be accomplished easily enough by digging into preferences and copying across multiple computers. Not as elegant, but how many times in a day do you sync? Same with Safari bookmarking.

My ISP emails travel with me by way of POP so .mac mail again is useless. Don't get me started on Backup. I have a 250GB HD and Silverkeeper to handle that task.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.