Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mikemgg123, Jun 19, 2013.

1. mikemgg123 macrumors newbie

Hey guys!
    I am new to using a mac and just had a question for you all. Whenever I download a third party app or program such as google drive or java, it leaves a little pictures of a hard drive like thing on my desktop. Am I okay to delete these or is there a setting to shut off to not make this happen anymore.

Any help would be nice. Thanks!

2. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

When writing a post it usually helps to have a descriptive title. People are more likely to respond.

Anyway, if the little images are white, you should be able to eject them in the Finder. Click on the Finder icon in the dock (looks like a funky blue face). They should be listed on the left sidebar. Click the little eject symbol and they should disappear :)

If the images aren't white, then that answer won't help you and you might accidentally delete your hard drive. If that's the case I'll let someone more knowledgeable help you out.

3. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

You can't delete your hard drive by trying to eject it, in fact you can't eject the boot drive. :)

Some other methods for ejecting disk images (.dmg files) and external or removable drives...

- Highlight the drives by holding down Command and then click each drive to highlight, then drag them all to the Trash which is now an eject symbol
    - Drag a single drive to the Trash/Eject icon
    - Right-click or control-click the drive and click "Eject"

OP, a number of application packages come enclosed in a Disk Image file (.dmg file extension), this is kind of like how a zip file is used in Windows. You open/mount the disk image as you've been doing and then "eject" it when you're done. It's a bit cleaner than unzipping files and leaving a mess in your Downloads folder, etc.