.Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by merbel, May 8, 2007.

1. merbel macrumors member

New Mac user. Have signed up for .Mac and am exploring a little with it. Feedback from those that like it and feel it is worthwhile (and why) is appreciated. What all does it offer you cannot get elsewhere?
    Thanks

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

IMAP mail service and other sync tools make it a very useful service if you have at least two Apples.

3. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

I have .mac but I have to say its way over priced for what it is.

But it is nice and simple and like netdog said its especially useful with multiple macs.

You can achieve most of what .mac does with other apps and services. It just isn't as easy or made by apple.

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

First and foremost: it gives you a <user_name>@mac.com email address! :cool: :D

I use many aspects of .Mac which makes (i)life on my Mac just even better:
    - Sync of Bookmarks, calendars, contacts
    - Backup options
    - iDisk: WebDAV disk space
    - Webservices: a stupendously briliant way of creating and posting your websites, podcasts, etc.
    - all services in the box: iChat, iTunes Music Store, Apple discussion boards...

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

I'm not thrilled with .Mac's price either, but it makes doing the two things above so amazingly easy (especially iWeb stuff) that I have zero problems recommending it to non-techy folk.

6. nightelf macrumors 6502

Sync is the best feature of .Mac for me. Mail is great too.

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I have multiple macs, so the syncing feature is priceless.
    I also like the iDisk space, gives me an easy way to exchange files with the PC at work and my macs at home.
    an IMAP email account (yes, I know there are alternatives) - IMAP is just easer to manage than POP if you have multiple computers.

It is a little pricey but you can usually find it for cheaper that the price apple sells it for (ebay/amazon)

8. MagicUK macrumors regular

MagicUK

Also as a New user, in fact a PC to Mac convert I also looked at the .Mac service, but so far haven't been convinced because I have my own domain name, email address, and web hosting service and as others have stated the price does seem high (Mine is kindly paid for by somebody I do freelance work for).

One thing that is tempting me is the backup software which seems pretty good (Maybe others could advise) and which you get to keep even if you do not renew the subscription (according to the guy in the Apple store). My reasoning so far has been as most of the decent backup software I have found to date appears to cost $'s maybe its worth buying into it something that I have already committed to quite heavily (Apple).

I am still not 100% convinced however and will watch this thread in anticipation of a revelation.

Regards Mark