.mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ilife world, Aug 24, 2007.

1. ilife world macrumors newbie

worth the money? i have a friend with a mac and he says he had it then didnt use it so would i use snd is it worth it?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It has just been upgraded and is a little more worthwhile. I have kept my subscription open. Have you tried the trial?

3. ilife world thread starter macrumors newbie

no but my friend also said the "trials" are a hassel

4. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Totally. But only you can decide for yourself. Do the trial.

5. herkyjerky macrumors member

Depends. I use it to host websites, use it for a few email addresses and I use it to back up most of my music, photos and important files. There are also some other cool features such as groups that I have begun to use to share files with a group of people. Many cool things to it if you take the time to play around with it. Definetely worth it for me.

6. ilife world thread starter macrumors newbie

7. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

to me it is worth it very much so.

Very easy to get things up and running and looking nice. I love how easy Apple makes it for you to get things onto the web quickly and easily.

8. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yeah, if you get the trial, don't pay for it until the end of the trial, if you want to continue, so that you get your full trial time.

Also, don't pay the $99 retail price. Get it from Amazon or something for $70-$80.

9. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Have it and worth it.

10. Britanium macrumors member

How many web sites can you host, with different domains, with one account? Family account?

11. herkyjerky macrumors member

You get 1 site through .Mac on an individual plan, but you can create your website on iMac and upload it to any domain name you own. I have 1 site that goes to my .mac site and then I have some domain names from Go Daddy that I upload some other websites to. Not sure about family accounts.

12. Hopstretch macrumors regular

Hopstretch

That's not quite right. You can build multiple sites in iWeb and host them all on .Mac as long as you have the disk space. Your main site will be bound to your primary .Mac address -- say "http://web.mac.com/herkyjerky" -- and new sites will be tacked on in the format: "http://web.mac.com/herkyjerky/new_site_name".

13. Britanium macrumors member

Sorry, I aware of that, I guess I wasn't clear enough.

With the new .mac, I've read that you're allowed to use your own domain names, and use .mac to host it. So my question is, can I host multiple domains using one .mac account? (i.e. www.site1.com, www.site2.com, www.site3.com - where each site is different)

14. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I want to do this too, and I don't think you can. :( iWeb puts it all under the same domain name, if you use an external domain name.

15. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

.Mac WOO HOOO

It has allowed me to easily upgrade my laptop (MacBook 2.16 Core 2 Duo) and desktop (iMac 2.8 Core 2 Extreme) with little problems. My .Mac email folders, rules, and my Bookmarks have all been easily transfered to my new computers. Also, I have easily been able to upload my iLife iMovie projects and iPhoto projects to .Mac Gallery with no problems.

It ROCKS!!!

16. aristobrat macrumors G5

I love .Mac's multiple computer syncing, the IMAP email acount, the iDisk I can share out to anyone, and the iLife 08 Web Galleries. :)

I also think I'm going to love the "Back to Mac" feature in Leopard, but I'm not totally sure if that's .Mac dependent.

A lot of technical people don't like .Mac because they've found free (or lower cost) alternatives to most of .Macs features, but for me, the simplicity of having them all bundled together makes it worth the money for me.

And like powerbook911 said, don't pay full price for it when you can get it for $20-$30 cheaper on Amazon or eBay.