MacAir wifi issue everywhere

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bfresh_8, Jun 9, 2018.

1. bfresh_8 macrumors newbie

I bought a MACBook air last year and connected flawlessly to wifi until a few months ago. I never lost the wifi-signal, however, would lose the ability to PING the default gateway of the wifi connected networks. The only work around was to disable/enable wifi or power cycle laptop. After multiple phone calls to support and replacement of the wifi controller, the problem continues to plague me while using the MACBook anywhere. My case was escalated to corporate and they advised me they could do nothing else - my problem was "environmental" - wow, thanks for the support Apple. I have a flaky MacBook Air and you have convinced me that you do not stand behind your product or customer.

Has anyone else had intermittent wifi issues on their MacBook air ? If so, what was the resolution?

2. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

Have you tried a clean install of the OS without any additional apps to see if it connects?

3. bfresh_8 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried the following:

- reset the SMC (system Management Controller)
    - Apple replaced WIFI controller
    - reinstalled MAC O/S
    - replaced home router (isp confirmed latest software, disabled Smart Wifi, enabled separate 2.4 & 5Ghz frequencies)
    - enabled wifi logging
    - submitted data capture to apple
    - Apple (in store) performed 10 minute data capture and indicated there was no problem connecting to their wifi

4. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

Wow, you've have done a lot of troubleshooting.

How about using a usb wifi dongle and disabling the internal wifi card?

Temporarily disabling encryption?

5. bfresh_8 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sure apple could have replaced my laptop and I would have been done with this "lemonair".
    Time is money and I have spend too much of my own time to invest any more money in this.
    Apple let me down big time - if this is the way they support their customers after investing money in their products, I would rather go with a competitor who values their customer.

6. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

Which model air do you have? How long have you owned the unit?

7. bfresh_8 thread starter macrumors newbie

purchased Nov 2016 (w/apple support) - Mac Book Air 13 in screen, MacOS High Sierra

8. borgranta macrumors 6502

borgranta

There can can any number of things interfering with the WIFI signal before it reaches you. Sometimes the signal of the radio frequency satellite can be blocked by a particular area of the wall in my home and similarly a WIFI signal can be disrupted in that same area.

9. bfresh_8 thread starter macrumors newbie

But this intermittent issue happens everywhere - not just my place, but at airports, friends places, work etc.
    I haven't heard any other users having this similar issue.

10. borgranta macrumors 6502

borgranta

My newest WIFI tends to need to be reset from time to time due to issues with connectivity apart from interference.

11. bfresh_8 thread starter macrumors newbie

The funny thing is that this never happened over the first year...not sure what changed but the problem follows the macbook air. Quickest fix would have been to replace the macbook air.

12. borgranta macrumors 6502

borgranta

Then maybe it is defective.

13. bfresh_8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple wouldn't budge - I sent in wifi logs, screen captures. They tested my macbook air in store for 10 minutes - dismissing it was an Apple issue. So much for apple customer care ...

14. borgranta macrumors 6502

borgranta

15. ChrisChaval, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018

ChrisChaval macrumors 6502

ChrisChaval

Yes I have

The culprit was an insufficiently shielded usb 3 hub

USB 3 hubs or other devices transmitting on the same 2,4 ghz range may interfere with 2,4 ghz WiFi

Try switching to 5 ghz if your router supports it

https://www.howtogeek.com/222249/wh...ghz-and-5-ghz-wi-fi-and-which-should-you-use/
    --- Post Merged, Jun 10, 2018 ---
    Just noticed , you might already have tried that

16. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

So this happens over free wi-fi networks like those found at coffee shops and fast-food places?

17. Mrbobb macrumors 601

If this happens everywhere, or most everywhere, then it's not environmental, I don't know how you spoke to the Apple tech. Next thing I suspect is corrupted OS, only because is relatively easy to upgrade it. Next thing I would suspect a loose WIFI antenna if the signal comes and go, to which a WIFI dongle (relatively inexpensive) should provide more clue, but hey you don't have time, you don't have time, we said here all there is to be said.