MacAlly Bookstand for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by shapefactor, Apr 10, 2010.

1. shapefactor macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Has anybody ordered or already have this case? It resembles the official iPad case except it has an additional fastening strap, and it snaps on the iPad instead of having to insert it in the case.

I'm leaning towards this case because it:
    a) Looks like it's made of a better material than the official one;
    b) Has a fastening property;
    c) Will not muffle the speaker volume;
    d) Makes it easier to insert and remove the iPad.

Can someone take pictures or post a review of this case? It sure looks like an excellent case but I'm really keen to see it in more detail.

Attached Files:

2. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

i have been looking at this one as well. I can't find a review for it anywhere though.

3. jedolley macrumors 68000

I originally ordered the day it gave the "Buy Now" option (Wednesday before iPad launch). However, after 2 days my order didn't even show in the online status and to my knowledge it had not been processed. I went ahead and cancelled my order.

I have since sent Macally an e-mail asking them if this case is indeed instock and how long would it take to actually ship the product, but I have not heard back from them.

Also keep in mind, that this case is showing up for pre-order on sites like Macmall, and Provantage and is priced $13-$17 cheaper than Macally's own site.

I'm going to wait until the case is available at another site. Macally's return policy is one of the worse I have seen https://www.iunitek.com/macally/index.cfm?fuseaction=company.dspPolicies#9.

4. shapefactor thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, I figured as much that the case isn't actually in existence yet since no reviews whatsoever have surfaced on the Net. I'm in the UK and I'll just wait for it to show up at amazon.co.uk.

I don't know whether to get the official case to tide me over given the split reviews it's been getting...

5. HXGuy macrumors 68000

I really like how this looks, it's similar tom the Apple case but looks like it's actually smaller around the edges which is great. Waiting to see the reviews once it actually ships.

6. theman510 macrumors 6502a

has anybody gotten this yet? or seen any reviews on it?

7. shapefactor thread starter macrumors newbie

tough luck, i'm looking forward to reviews as well.
    once macally-europe puts it up on amazon.co.uk, i'm gonna buy it in a heartbeat!

8. 1rottenapple macrumors 68000

I too have been looking for reviews for this case but no dice as well. This and the apple case are my number one choice at the moment.

9. tacomahunter macrumors regular

tacomahunter

Just ordered it from macmall for 37.99. As soon as it arrives I will take pictures and post a quick review. Hope it arrives soon!

10. jedolley macrumors 68000

Did you happen to contact them to see when it will be in stock?

11. shapefactor thread starter macrumors newbie

12. igadhia macrumors newbie

Im really struggling to find a decent case in the UK (or importable to the UK)

I want one like the apple case / this macally one ie wallet style with stand capability.

So far...

Apple case
    Macally
    INCASE convertible jacket

all of which i simply cannot find to buy anywhere.

Any help would be appreciated, otherwise its off to fleabay I go... I really do not want to pay as much for shipping as for the product!

13. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

I've looked at most of the ipad cases I could find online and this one seems to be the nicest that includes the ability to prop it at different angles.

I'm very interested to see two things about it:

1) How thick it is, because I don't want a real thick outer case for my ipad that will add heft and weight.

2) Whether it stays in place when you prop it up at an angle. I'm worried the system they use might not work that great, and it could keep falling down when you try to prop it up.

14. gadgetfreaky1 macrumors newbie

I'd love to know how easy it is to pop the ipad in and out. the apple case is just so hard to get in and out quickly it's not that convenient for those that like to switch from naked to a case. I want a case to stand it and watch movies, but naked when carrying it around.

Also, how does that orange closing tab work. The good thing about the apple case is that it's pretty sturdy in standing quickly, and the material is got a nice grippy texture, but the sharp edge bugs me.

15. tdream macrumors 65816

The only problem I see with this is that the flap for fastening will be sticking out when using it in the most popular usage, flat.

The Apple case still is the best, but again I can't find it anywhere at a reasonable price.

16. jedolley macrumors 68000

I noticed a seller (24hourdispatch) on Amazon claiming to have the BookStand for sale and in stock for $38.95. I contacted them via e-mail to confirm if the actually have it in stock and ready to ship. They responded that they did and their page says they have a 24-hour shipment policy.

Anyone looking to get this case now may want to consider them. Their price is better than Macally, and even though their return policy isn't great, it's better than Macallys'.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DRCVUE/sr=8-1/qid=1271381620/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1271381620&sr=8-1&seller=

17. Crackbone macrumors regular

Thanks, I took a shot. :p Appreciate the heads up

18. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Please let us know how it is once you receive it. Thanks.

19. mrgossett macrumors 6502

It's also now in stock at the Macally site. I just ordered one tonight. I also have the Apple case ordered from the Apple Store, but I'm leaving on a trip on 4/27, and I really need a case for that trip. With my luck, Apple's "late April" ship date will be 4/28, so maybe I'll receive the Macally case before then.

20. jedolley macrumors 68000

Keep in mind that Macally uses a site called iUnitek to sell their items and the return policy is horrible. 7 days and 20% restocking fee :eek:.

https://www.iunitek.com/macally/index.cfm?fuseaction=company.dspPolicies#9

21. btdvox macrumors newbie

Bought one, says 1-3 business days shipping, I'll post pics next week

22. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

Nice, I'm going to hold off on buying it until I hear a little more about how it feels and its usability, so I look forward to your pics and review.

23. 1rottenapple macrumors 68000

Cool definitely post a review and let's us no if it's a good option.

24. shapefactor thread starter macrumors newbie

Macally europe shows the back of this case.

www.macally-europe.com/img/products/ProductImage1926.jpeg

It really looks like the fastening strap is gonna be floppy and irritating. But I like that it probably will not grab as much dirt as the apple case and will not muffle the speakers. And it doesnt have those sharp edges present in the apple case.

25. Crackbone macrumors regular

Well, I just got a ship notification on the one I ordered yesterday. I should have it next week, I'll post some photos and thoughts when I receive it.