Macally mouse - leaking glue, sticky hands!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stevo1, Aug 11, 2008.

1. stevo1 macrumors member

Has anyone here used a Macally mouse?

I bought this combo less than a year ago, and the mouse is becoming unusable thanks to all the gum/glue leaking out from the rubber grips on the side. No matter how much I clean it, it seems to keep oozing out. Yuk.

Has anyone else had this happen?

I'm wondering who to approach first - the retailer, or the manufacturer?

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Ewww... that's really bad quality. Try contacting the retailer where you bought this mouse/keyboard combo, if you're still under the return policy (30 days in most stores). If not, still go to the retailer, but ask them for help. Good luck with your mouse.

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

By your post, I'd assume you've exceeded the store return policy. Since its less than 1 year old, and presumably still under warranty, the manufacturer is likely the only option. :(

4. stevo1 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I'm outside the 30-day period. Will give the manufacturer a call and see what they say.

5. stevo1 thread starter macrumors member

Well, despite that, I thought I'd try giving the retailer a call first - MacWarehouse - just to see what they said.

And I'm glad I did. They were polite and efficient, and offered a full refund.

Very impressed by their service. :)

6. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Ewwwwwwww!!!! Yeah, I would call the manufacturer, and try to claim your warranty. I've had problems with Macally products, namely their ibook/powerbook chargers. I went through two of them in less then a month, and finally got fed up and ordered a Apple charger from Hong Kong off of eBay, and it has lasted longer then the Macally chargers combined.

Don

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

Glad it worked out well! :cool:
    You must've been trying to post at the same time, and missed the OP's most recent post. ;) :p
    I hate when that happens! :D

8. stevo1 thread starter macrumors member

Heh, me too!

Thanks for the input, all. :)

9. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

That's very interesting - it's likely the plasticiser coming out from the rubber-like PU. This is something which should only occur after many years, if ever. Good to know you got it sorted out - it would have continued even if you cleaned it on a regular basis.