Macally Power Cord for iBook G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by has.flag, Jul 28, 2008.

1. has.flag macrumors newbie

I have an iBook G4 1.07 GhZ. I know, I know. Upgrade. But I need my iBook to last out for at least another year, and aside from a logic board problem, the thing has been pretty sweet to me over the years.

The power cord is a different story. I've had nothing but trouble with the thing, and it finally reached a point where I need to replace it. But I'm saving up for that inevitable upgrade, and $80 for a new cord seemed a little steep. So, on a friend's recommendation, I picked up a Macally PS-AC4 adapter.

Got it in the mail today, and on the packaging it's only approved for Powerbook G4s. My question is, has anyone ever used one of these with an iBook G4? In retrospect, I've read some awful things about this adapter, so if anyone has an alternate "generic" adapter, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks!

2. vniow macrumors G4

IMO, the Apple adapters kind of suck. But the generics suck more. My shop sells both and I prefer and recommend the Apple ones, even if they're used, for mostly quality reasons.

As far as working with your iBook, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, same power output as Apple;s own if I recall correctly, plug is the same design. Don't know why they approve it for everything except the G4 iBook, its similar to the adapters we sell and we've seen no issues with them.