Macally sata HDD enclosure and Segate Barracuda

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jonnytruant, Dec 29, 2008.

1. jonnytruant macrumors member

jonnytruant

Is there any reason why the combination of a Macally G-S350SUA sata HDD enclosure and a Segate Barracuda ST31000340AS would not work together? Besides the HD not mounting? the enclosure has external power which works when I turn the combination on I can hear the drive turning itself over and over trying to mount. I am using a firwire connection. The drive doesn't show up in disk utility either. I also tried jumper settings at both 1.5 and 3 Gb/s neither worked.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Does it work on another computer? The drive spinning up repeatedly is often a sign of drive failure.

3. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

As long as it's SATA, there's no reason it shouldn't. Have you tried connecting it via USB?

BTW, I've got that same enclosure with a WD 1.0TB Greenpower drive and it works great for me. :D

4. jonnytruant thread starter macrumors member

jonnytruant

No it does not I am pretty sure its a defective drive. I tried USB and still no luck.

I tried it on another computer and another enclosure and it did not work. Im going to have to get an RMA.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yeah, if a brand new drive behaves like that, I'd say it's a manufacturer's defect. The problem is you don't know whether it's the drive or the enclosure that's at fault.

6. California macrumors 68040

California

I think there is a limiter on drive space in the MacAlly enclosure as well. Seem to recall you can't go over 320gbs? I could be wrong on that.

Also it does sound like a drive problem. can you swap this hd into a Mac?

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It is odd that an enclosure should place a limit on hard drive size. Anyway, Str8edgepunker claims to be using the same enclosure with a 1 TB drive, so I'd factor that out unless there is no other possibility. However, I'm pretty sure it's the drive that's at fault.

8. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

Nope, no limiter. I'd go through several roofs if it did though. :D

9. jonnytruant thread starter macrumors member

jonnytruant

I did try another enclosure and it was unsuccessful so I think I can rule out the enclosure being the problem.

I wish I could put it in one but all I have access to is my cube which is not sata and my macbook pro sooo Im going to assume the HD defect. I have had this problem before, which is why its so frustrating! I had a pata from WD DOA too. the Segate sounds the same as the WD did upon startup.

Thanks for all the help.

10. jamoctopus macrumors newbie

11. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution