Macbbok pro 13" 2012 gpu throttling problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tjh108, Jul 6, 2012.

1. tjh108 macrumors newbie

Dear All,

I recently bought a 2012 macbook pro 13" (i7 model). It's primarily for work, but I've also been trying a few games with the integrated HD4000 gpu. Unfortunately I've been having a few problems with the gpu throttling back due to overheating.

Basically it seems that after a while the gpu is hitting it's thermal limit and is periodically cutting right back to its base frequency of 350 MHz. The upshot of this is that a game will periodically stutter.

The effect is best illustrated using zgpu. You can see the effect in the attached image with the gpu core clock.

[​IMG]

This only happens if the game is suitably gpu intensive for the system to try to ramp the gpu up to full frequency (a good way to achieve this seems to be to turn off vsync).

I was hoping someone on here might be able to test their own system and see if it is a common problem or whether I need to get my system looked at...

2. tjh108 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Your image wasn't coming up properly:

[​IMG]

Your GPU throttling back when it hits a high temperature is normal. Try using an external cooler if you'd like more fluent performance.

4. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

Well I have the 2011 version and I will say that it does not experience what you've written and since upgrading the RAM it doesn't struggle with games (not necessarily high frame rate but playable).

5. SR71 macrumors 68000

Can you try reposting the image? It's not showing up for me.

6. tjh108 thread starter macrumors newbie