Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bart96

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
Hi, has anyone noticed flickering of camera image on newest M1 Macs? I know that light sources flickers but it looked normal with my previous macs and iPhone cameras

Reactions: wyrdness

wyrdness

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2008
Mine flickers really badly with LED lights. It's so bad that it's not usable. My previous 2012 Air wasn't like this. It's fine with CFL lighting, as those don't flicker so much as LED. Maybe this is something that might be curable by a software update.

Reactions: Bart96

alanleehk

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2011
Hi, has anyone noticed flickering of camera image on newest M1 Macs? I know that light sources flickers but it looked normal with my previous macs and iPhone cameras
Which year was your previous Mac? The video quality on front camera of M1 MacBook Air is already better than those MacBook air manufactured last few years....

Bart96

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
MacBook Pro 13 2015 - maybe quality is better but now it flickers so - video calls are nearly impossible with my LED lights, earlier it looked normal

alanleehk

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2011
All front camera quality of MacBooks without the “light” apple logo are not good because of the “thin” panel..

Bart96

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
I think its connected with power line frequency in USA (60Hz) and Europe(50Hz) - it should work automatically or maybe manual settings

JoeyK

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2020
Came here to look for a thread about this. I just tried a video call on Teams and the background is wavy/flickering! It works fine on my MBA from 2012, though?

Does anyone know what the issue might be?

prosumer

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2010
There's a thread on this on the Apple support website. As mentioned above I think it’s something to do with power frequency (50hz vs 60hz) but I’m not sure what the solution is.

Apple thread is here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252075489
Workaround comment shared from user on Apple support site above:

• install OBS (https://obsproject.com/download)
  • create virtual camera (Sources - Add - Video Capture Device, choose your webcam)
  • untick "use preset" and adjust fps on that virtual camera from default to another level, use appropriate fps when you see no flicker on the video (for me it was ok to change to 25 fps)
  • start virtual camera
  • you can now minimize the OBS window

As a result, when OBS application is active it changes fps setting on your webcam. So, simply use your regular webcam in Zoom - NO FLICKERING. In Zoom (or another app) in preferences you can choose either physical webcam or virtual one, all will be flicker-free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.