Macbbook Pro 13" vs MBA 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RobNor, Sep 17, 2011.

1. RobNor macrumors 6502

2. Naimfan Suspended

Naimfan

SEARCH is your friend--there are probably fifty recent threads on this exact same subject.

3. Liquinn Suspended

I'd personally get the MBP 13"; since you can upgrade it and it's a lot more powerful than the Air.

Thanks

4. Gillespie81 macrumors regular

i chose the pro over the air. i like the design of the pro. i think the air is to thin. now i like the screen res. in the air better then the pro, but like stated above the pro is upgradable so this will last longer then the air in my eyes. its all personal preference. go to an apple store and try them both out. i was in for an hr messing with both and thats when i decided on the pro

5. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

The screen quality on the pro is also better, so if you care about having the best colour accuracy you can, as well as a better viewing angle, then the pro might be for you.

IMHO, the 11" air is the real competitor to the 13" MBP, as the number of pixels is similar, but the body gives a huge benefit in portability. Remember that, for a price, you can spec the 11" to the same max specs as the 13".

David

6. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

that's not really true at all

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

THIS...and you dont have to worry about carry external DVD drive just to watch movie and why extra 80.00?

8. Tanax macrumors 6502a

I was under the impression that the Air had better resolution??

9. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

it does but the colors are more matte than deep like the Pro

10. bniu macrumors 6502a

at the 13" level, I'd go for the Air, just $100 more in base price gets you a much sleeker system and a larger screen rez. If you want "Pro" power, you gotta step up to a 15" model, that's where the power starts.

11. saberahul macrumors 68040

I assume you're trying to see which one you should buy. What I have won't make a difference to you; rather, I can provide advice if you provide us with some information on your usage.

If you're an avid internet user, Air is the one to get (although iPad is better for this IMO). If you do a lot of hardcore work, Pro is better (there is a reason it's called the Pro).

12. Trance macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

MBP
    Enternet slot and disk drive (I have Aton of DVDs) was a make or break for me.

13. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

MBP. Significantly better screen (believe me, there are more important things when using a monitor than just resolution), upgradable to SSD of choice and 8 GB RAM, better build quality (built like a tank), cheaper for the same/more stuff.

Another thing to consider. The ULV CPUs are not as wonderful as Apple would have you think. Because they need to run at half the thermal power, the GPU and CPU are both clocked slower than on the MBP. Yes, both can turbo boost, but only as long as the chip keeps within a certain thermal and power range. For example, if the CPU is already running near 17W while I'm playing Portal 2, the GPU can't turbo past its base speed. This was a significant difference to me.

14. smbm macrumors newbie

I went for the Pro because it had a kensington lock slot.

I need this for work.

If the Air had one I would have got that with no hesitation.

15. Kafka macrumors 6502

Agreed, that's why I returned my MBA 13".