Macboo pro 15.4 mid 2014 or 2015

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WindowsTraitor, Oct 29, 2015.

1. WindowsTraitor macrumors regular

I can get a new mid 2014 for the same price of a used 2015. Which one would you get? The main differences I saw are the gpu and the trackpad. I do not really care about the trackpad, but I do about the gpu.

Thanks.

2. PTLove macrumors 6502

Is it a 15 with a dGPU or do both have Iris Pro? Makes a large difference.

3. WindowsTraitor thread starter macrumors regular

It is with the dedicated one. It is the 512gb i7 version m370x for the 2015 and the 2014 has the 750m

4. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

The 2015 has a much faster SSD. It also has the new Force Touch trackpad and claims up to an hour longer battery life. I think it also has better external monitor resolution capability, but I've seen conflicting data in that regard.

I was in a similar situation as you last week; I could have gotten a new 2014 15" MBP with 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD for $100 less than a new 2015. I opted for the 2015 for the reasons I listed, as well as going with a more recent GPU. Apple uses these GPUs for more and more, and I wanted to future proof my GPU as much as possible. I just retired a 2008 iMac that I got over 7 years out of, and I want to do the same with the MBP.

In your case, it is a more difficult decision in that you are looking at new vs. used. Good luck with your decision, and either one will serve you well.

5. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Get 2014. Im super happy with it.

the only time worth considering a new rMBP is when Sky Lake comes.

If you look at the AMD vs nVidia benchmarks you will see that nVidia kills the AMD in performance. Apple got the AMDs because they have higher floating point calculations and generate less heat.

the 750M is a nice dGPU on a laptop.

6. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

The benchmarks and reviews I have seen show just the opposite:

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/notebooks/15-inch-Retina-MacBook-Pro-2015.htm

http://barefeats.com/rmbp15.html

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-M370X-Mac-vs-GeForce-GT-750M-Mac

7. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Flash storage, sure. GPU not so much.

nVidia has CUDA and applications like Premiere Pro (Real world) eat it up. Sure it also supports OpenCL but CUDA is a more mature extension.

The CPU stayed the same...you're getting a few extra frames in some app no one uses (except photoshop) and faster storage and force touch? Why not saved $500-600.

I paid $1800 (No Tax) for a new rMBP2014 when the 2015 was out. Great purchase.

8. WindowsTraitor thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all your replies. Another advantage of getting a new one is the that I can get the extended warranty and purchase protection for 90 days with my card. This will not apply to the used one.

I have not used a flash storage yet. (Only hdd) so I am sure I will see an improvement even with the 2014.

9. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

There may also be some ramifications for adding Apple Care as well; you can do it for sure on the new one, but I'm not sure how Apple Care works when you buy a pre-owned machine from someone who does not have the extended Apple Care on it.

You will see a major improvement in storage speed regardless of whether it's a 2014 or 2015. It's kinda like, just how fast does it need to be before you can't notice the difference anymore in normal tasks. I would have seriously considered getting a new 2014 over a new 2015 if the price was right; however, I was able to get a new 2015 for $100 more than a new 2014, so to me the ForceTouch trackpad, faster SSD and an AMD GPU made it worth the $100. Regardless of the specific speeds of the choices in GPU, I am of the opinion that now that Apple has AMD across the board for all of their computers with discrete graphics, this can eventually become a "life cycle" determinant. As they roll out updates to OS X, the configuration of your hardware becomes the reason that you can or can not take advantage of certain updates. Now that AMD is ubiquitous, I would not be surprised that some time down the road all pre-AMD systems become ineligible for updating OR at the very least, won't be able to take advantage of new features. That may not be a big deal to you if you update your hardware frequently, but I just upgraded from a 2008 24" iMac to this MBP, and ONLY because it became too expensive to repair after a recent MOBO failure. I hope to get similar life from this, so I opted to get one as up-to-date as possible. I would have waited for Skylake, but time was not on my side.

10. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Don't get a used one there are plenty 2014 rMBP's out there brand new from B&H and other retailers.

To be honest, the AMD chipsets are horrible. We've had so many problems even with the 5k iMac using the R9 GPU, that's the same in the rMBPs. I'm talking about real world applications that people make a living on like Photoshop etc.

11. SDAVE, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015

SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

While I agree on some things, I don't agree that Apple will neglect something like an nVidia GPU update.

Apple historically has switched between them dating back to the G3s. Apple doesn't need to update the Kext all the time, matter of fact nVidia keeps releasing new drivers after every OS X update (with 10.11.1 being the latest). And I also have CUDA installed, honestly you will have to pry this computer from my dead cold hands. It's such a beast, I can't even say the same for a 2014 5k iMac. AMD needs to get their ish together.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-M370X-Mac-vs-GeForce-GT-750M-Mac

Here's a rundown. The 750M is old but it has more memory bandwidth.

And look at the 950M from nVidia (which Apple could have put in the rMBP). The 9 series is very energy efficient than the 7 series.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-M370X-Mac-vs-GeForce-GTX-950M

nVidia is just a better GPU manufacturer. AMD is lagging. nVidia keeps releasing new OS X drivers that increase performance and recently they unlocked it so people can put the drivers on their MBPs. That's very nice of them and they don't have to do it.

12. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

But the AMD has better memory bandwidth than the 950M, which much mean something as you linked to the exact same comparison that I did and focused on the ONLY graph in which the 750M is better than the R9M370X.

It makes no sense debating very small differences between two middling GPUs that average out to being roughly equivalent. All I know is that Apple has currently converged on AMD so my bets are on AMD to be supported by Apple longer. Since I don't use Adobe products, I don't care about CUDA as I won't experience the advantages that the 750M brings to CUDA-friendly programs. I'm glad you like your MBP more than the iMac; that is what lead me to buy mine versus replacing my iMac with another iMac.

13. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Point is even on the iMac 5k (2014) I've tried multiple of these...my 750M Laptop has a MUCH better performance with Photoshop and After Effects. How's that for real world experience?

14. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

Again, you are stating what I have already said. I would expect CUDA-centric programs (like Adobe) to perform better on CUDA-based GPUs (like the 750M) than on OpenCL-based GPUs (like the AMDs). How's that for real-world logic?

15. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

It's not just Cuda, it's Open CL. AMD looks better on paper but not in real world professional productions. Apple dropped a bomb by going AMD. Really disappointed.