Macboo Pro 17" last generation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by itsfliproduct, Oct 12, 2009.

1. itsfliproduct macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

First time posting, I don't know if I'm at the right discussion, but admin please move if need be.

My macbook pro is about 14 months old. It's he last model before the new uni body came out. I did not get a chance to renew my apple care and so it is expired last August. My macbook pro froze while I was browsing the web and so i did a power button reset by holding on the power button. This isn't the first time my macbook has froze and so I do hard resets. But....

When I turned it on, it would boot then shut off about 3-7 seconds. I hear the hardrive and the disk drive start up, but then shut off. I don't get the "boing" startup sound or anything. The screen doesn't even show anything. I did the reset procedures on the guide book that came with the mac to no avail.

I did some reading and saw that it might be the logic board. Which i also read is about $1200 tor eplace. This is a ****ing $3500 machine and this is ****ing ridiculous if I have to pay this much to get this fixed. As most of us, I treat my macbook like a new born baby. It has a hard incase cover and the laptop is in MINT condition. Seriously looks like I bought it a day ago.

Please someone help me!

2. Buzz Bumble Guest

It could just be a hard drive issue. Try booting from the original CD / DVD that came with the computer. You might b able to run the Disk Utility to repair any damage the reset potentially caused.

If that doesn't hlp, then it looks like you'll need to take it in to a repair center (they'll charge you just to look at it though). Bear in mind that logic board replacements are rarely worth doing - they're expensive because you're basically replacing the computer itself.

You could always sell the case to someone else who hasn't been so careful with theirs.

3. OrangesOfCourse macrumors member

I have the exact same problem. My laptop will randomly shut down and when i try to start it up again it keeps failing. The only way i have been able to start up is to reset the SMC. I have reinstall the OS and cleared the SMC multiple times to no avail.

I'm going to take it to a repair center soon to see what they have to say.

@OP: Did you buy this on a credit card? You might have a extended warranty by your credit card. My Amex offers me 1 year extra warranty. Look into it. :)