Macbook '06 optimization

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Druean, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Druean macrumors member

Druean

I've got this old macbook '06 model, its slowed up pretty badly and I realize thats partly due to the age. However I was wondering if there were any tricks of the trade or apps that would improve its performance.

Any helpful advice much appreciated :)

2. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I have always backed everything up, wipe the HDD and freshly install everything. It has always worked for me. Just double check you have all the install disks from programs.

3. Pixellated macrumors 65816

A clean install of Snow leopard. And to make it look physically better, if your palmrests are damaged and chipped, Apple will replace them free.

4. Druean thread starter macrumors member

Druean

Thanks, think i'll opt for the clean install.

5. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Maximize the RAM: 2GB* for the May '06 (Core Duo) or 4GB** in the Late '06 (Core 2 Duo). The RAM mentioned should be in a kit; 2GB means 2 each 1GB chips and 4GB means 2 each 2GB chips.

Also, make sure that you have ample free space on your HDD. Figure at least 10-15% free. If it's more filled than that, free up some space or replace the drive with a bigger one. While you're at it, make the replacement a faster (7200rpm) one.

* Do not attempt to put more than 2GB of RAM in a Core Duo or it will not boot.

** By putting 4GB into your late '06 MacBook, your machine will only use 3GB but will have an advantage over a 1GB+2GB configuration.

6. Druean thread starter macrumors member

Druean

Thanks a lot thats really informative, however I'm purchasing a new macbook pro for myself soon. The macbook in question I was going to give to my sister so I was look for a cost effective means of improving the performance, rather than shedding out more money.

7. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Though RAM was cheaper not so long ago, you can still upgrade to the 2gb for about $55 on crucial.com or shop around elsewhere. Honestly, it made a real difference on mine allowing it to smoothly run quite a few apps at once. Up to you though obviously.

8. Druean thread starter macrumors member

Druean

Ah might be an idea then, thanks. Can you put the extra 2gb in yourself?

9. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

It can be done yourself. When you say extra 2GB it's not really like that. Depending on what you have in it now and what model you have, you will most likely need to replace 2 chips with 2 new chips. I can provide more info on that if you post the current specs.

Here a video on how easy it is: MacBook 13" Memory and Hard Drive Installation