MacBook 1,1 (2006 model) white WON'T charge

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by shaun12246, Nov 9, 2014.

1. shaun12246 macrumors newbie

I have the MacBook 1,1 (2006 model), and it's been broken (Mac OS got corrupt) and it's only been fixed since May, and has the Ubuntu OS on it. The laptop only runs on A/C power, and if I take out, the whole machine just turns itself off. I've done the; take out the battery, and MagSafe power adapter and hold it in for 5 seconds then put it all back in, then the MagSafe charger goes orange for about 20 seconds then goes back to green. HELP! I know purchasing a new battery would be the best bet, but I'm wondering if there's any way to potentially "fix" this error. I had read some articles saying that if the MacBook isn't used for a long period of time, the battery "dies", and then you have to go buy a new battery.. very frustrating, and obviously it doesn't have warranty as its from 2006. Please tell me some 'home remedies' for potentially fixing this, as this error is a bit of a pain. Thanks! :D

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

There is no way to magic a failed battery back to life. Your only option is to buy a new battery, or continue using it on the mains only.

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Rather that spending money on a new battery, if you can find one, I think I would put that money towards purchasing a new or newer Macbook. At 8 years of age that one has given service for a long time.

4. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

A new battery would be your only solution. Also, Ubuntu usually drains more battery since it's not optimized for Macs (and laptops in general). I'd exchange the battery and install Snow Leopard on it. Later, get a 120GB SSD, 3 or 4GB of RAM and be happy.

----------

I agree, but some machines have a sentimental value. My late-2009 Macbook is still a great machine for browsing or even programming. Really don't know why Geekbench rates it just ~2800/3000 multicore while my early-2013 rMBP is 12000. This isn't a fair measure, since I can't feel the rMBP performing even twice the speed of the Macbook. In normal tasks, the difference should actually be ~50-80%.

5. shaun12246 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Thank you all for your answers. I know, my :apple: is over 8 years old now, and yes. It would make more sense just buying a new :apple: rather than going and buying a refurbished/new 2006 1.1, because it's really slow. The battery wasn't like this the last time I used it, which was about 2 years prior the event. But as I've read up on the internet, apparently Mac batteries can die from inactive use, or being idle and not being used.

I suppose this is true. I don't see the point in really purchasing a new battery; or purchasing another one. It was my first laptop, and means a lot to me.

I guess I'll just keep using it, but as a desktop, as the power supply has to be plugged in all the time.

Anyways, thank you all!