macbook 1.1 good for me?- HELP

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by greatskiiiier, Oct 21, 2009.

1. greatskiiiier macrumors newbie

so i bid on a macbook on ebay, thought i was getting a late 2007 macbook but after emails with the guy this is what he sent me: Macbook 1.1

isnt that the early 2006 model? is there any difference between the 2 and should i still purchase this laptop?
    what would be a fair price for this laptop as well (2gb processor, 1gb ram, osx 10.4, core duo, and he said 60gig harddrive "he thinks")

sorry for the dumb questions, this would be my first mac

2. smokestack macrumors member

The main thing you will notice is the processor speed; those first macbooks are single core processors (core duo vs core 2 duo).
    Add to that a slower BUS speed, and the comp won't be zooming along.

That said, it'll be much faster than jumping in on an older PowerPC model (ibook).

I haven't dealt with that model personally, so I don't know how it handles in the real world.
    I would aim to pick it up around 500... but the current Mac lust in the world has kept prices on older laptops pretty high.
    But think of the things you'll want to invest in it: might need a new battery (ask how long he can use it for now), update the operating system, possibly upgrade ram (would help). In some cases holding off for a newer system would SAVE you these (non-essential) expenses.

3. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

The 1,1 MacBook was released May '06 and it was available in a 2.0 GHz. The maximum RAM for this model is 2GB. Currently, the largest hard drive is a 500GB in either a 5400 or 7200rpm. As a previous owner, I feel that it's a great machine for its day but:

1) It being 3+ years old, there are worn parts that may need replacing.
    2) You won't have any warranty.

And on the other side of the coin:

1) That seems like a fair price in order to get your feet wet with a Mac notebook.
    2) The MacBook is still able to run the current OS.

Like the previous poster mentioned, I think that I would look for something a
    little more current in order to give you more life and less repair/upgrade expense.
    My old machine is still in service. My daughter uses it as well as a 12" PowerBook in first year med school. It has 2GB of RAM and a 120GB 7200rpm HD.