macbook 1,1 logic board upgrade, can i get some input

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by boneskid1, Sep 19, 2012.

1. boneskid1 macrumors member

Well I was thinking about getting an ssd for my base line 1st gen MacBook and while browsing I came across a thread that mentioned upgrading to c2d from a cd . The logic board number. Is t7400, I would like to Know if this would be a substantial upgrade with the ssd as well. Also does anyone know what GPU is on that particular board, and the max ram limit? In the thread it says 4gb but on anther site I found that it could handle 6gb.

I apologize if that was difficult to read I am posting from my new phone and I am still not used to the on screen keyboard.

Here is the thread http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-1205373.html
    Thanks,
    Boneskid1

P.s. my current CPU is the CD 1.83ghz and I have the Intel GMA 945 integrated gpu . Also my current ram is 2gb which is maxed out for the cd

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

GPU is the same. Max RAM is 4GB but only 3.3GB will be visible to the OS. Not worth the upgrade unless you can get one REAL cheap, IMO. Its a PITA to work on, like most laptops.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Your Macbook has the Intell GMA 950 GPU, not the 945. The Macbook1,1 and Macbook2,1 have the exact same hardware except for the CPU. You can flash the 2,1 firmware onto the 1,1 to be able to use 3.3GB of ram in it.

4. DaKKs macrumors 6502

Hang on a sec, I thought that was a myth started by some random fanboy? Does it seriously work?

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes.

6. DaKKs, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

DaKKs macrumors 6502

Ohh, and how does one make it work? Simply running the file gives an compatibilty error.

EDIT: Found this: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1386744 doesnt seem to work. i get a write error at the end and it doesnt flash anything on reboot.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Not sure what to say. I was able to flash my 1,1 to a 2,1. I might have missed a step, but I don't think I did.

8. DaKKs macrumors 6502

Seems to wok fine until the last command, then i get this:

Code:
    EFI found at IODeviceTree:/efi
    GPT detected
    No auxiliary booter partition required
    System partition found
    Returning booter information dictionary:
    <CFBasicHash 0x107c00 [0xa0359ec0]>{type = mutable dict, count = 3,
    entries =>
    	0 : <CFString 0x1b538 [0xa0359ec0]>{contents = "System Partitions"} = <CFArray 0x107590 [0xa0359ec0]>{type = immutable, count = 1, values = (
    	0 : <CFString 0x107ef0 [0xa0359ec0]>{contents = "disk0s1"}
    )}
    	1 : <CFString 0x1b518 [0xa0359ec0]>{contents = "Auxiliary Partitions"} = <CFArray 0x107570 [0xa0359ec0]>{type = immutable, count = 0, values = ()}
    	2 : <CFString 0x1b958 [0xa0359ec0]>{contents = "Data Partitions"} = <CFArray 0x107c30 [0xa0359ec0]>{type = immutable, count = 1, values = (
    	0 : <CFString 0xa0352758 [0xa0359ec0]>{contents = "disk0s2"}
    )}
    }

Substituting ESP disk0s1
    Mounting at /Volumes/bless.EuEt
    Executing "/sbin/mount"
    Returned 0
    Creating /Volumes/bless.EuEt//EFI/APPLE/FIRMWARE if needed
    Deleting previous contents of /Volumes/bless.EuEt//EFI/APPLE/FIRMWARE
    Can't load /System/Library/CoreServices/Firmware Updates/EFIUpdaterApp.efi
    Could not load data from /System/Library/CoreServices/Firmware Updates/EFIUpdaterApp.efi
    Executing "/sbin/umount"
    Returned 0
    Error while writing firmware updater for EFI
    Docs-Macbook:~ dakks$ 

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Check if the /System/Library/CoreServices/Firmware Updates/EFIUpdaterApp.efi file exists.

10. DaKKs macrumors 6502

yup, it does. even has the MB2,1 file next to it. but it doesnt flash anything. just boots back into osx

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Could you tell me the exact names of the files that are in the /System/Library/CoreServices/Firmware Updates/ directory?

12. DaKKs macrumors 6502

"LOCKED_MB21_00A5_07B.fd" and "EfiUpdaterApp2.efi"

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Try this command instead. I forgot that Apple changed a few things.
    Code:
    sudo bless -mount / -firmware /System/Library/CoreServices/Firmware\ Updates/EfiUpdaterApp2.efi -payload /System/Library/CoreServices/Firmware\ Updates/LOCKED_MB21_00A5_07B.fd -options "-x efi-apple-payload0-data" --verbose
    If that doesn't work, I have one more idea. And just checking, you are holding down the power button when you reboot so that the firmware update is attempted/takes place?

14. DaKKs macrumors 6502

That almost worked. The firmware update progress bar flashed for a second before it booted into OSX. It finished the script in Terminal without errors though...And yes, i'm holding down the power button as instructed.

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Last idea, download the Macbook1,1 firmware update from Apple, http://support.apple.com/downloads/MacBook_EFI_Firmware_Update_1_0. Extract the EFIUpdaterApp.efi from it and put it in the Firmware Updates folder. Run this command in Terminal:
    Code:
     sudo bless -mount / -firmware /System/Library/CoreServices/Firmware\ Updates/EFIUpdaterApp.efi -payload /System/Library/CoreServices/Firmware\ Updates/LOCKED_MB21_00A5_07B.fd -options "-x efi-apple-payload0-data" --verbose 
    Note the difference between the two EFI updaters. One has a "2" in it. This is the newer one that shipped with the Macbook2,1 firmware update. This is the one we were using. We'll now try the one without the "2".

16. DaKKs, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

DaKKs macrumors 6502

Same thing. The progress bar flashed for a second and then it rebooted, still nothing.

what if you rename the "LOCKED_MB21_00A5_07B.fd" file to the version that is correct for the 1,1? It almost feels like a bad rom flash, when CWM realizes that something is iffy and reboots the mobile before any damage is done.

17. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Currently out of ideas. But I'll be able to get an unflashed Macbook1,1 to experiment with in about 4 hours. Should be able to help a bit around that time.

18. DaKKs macrumors 6502

Can we make that tomorrow? Cause its 2200 hours over here and I'm getting up early. I appreciate the help nonetheless.
    EDIT: make that 10pm, i spent way too much time with my ex-gf's father...

19. boneskid1 thread starter macrumors member

ok so if i flash the 2,1 firmware to my 1,1 could i upgrade to lion. and does anyone know if there are any other boards that will fit (internal connector, and size wise inside of the macbook) i understand this is a far cry but a new mbp is way more than i can afford.

Thanks,
    Boneskid1

P.s. i have a powerbook g4 as well and i saw some where that you could hack the board to run intel. ( i am not saying this is possible i have googgled quite a bit) i found nothing on the subject but i figured i would ask be for adding another thread to the ppc forums.

My 1,1 also has n wireless on my airport

20. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Flashing the 2,1 firmware onto it will not allow you to install Lion. You wouldn't have a 64-bit CPU and would not be able to install Lion. Unless you upgraded the Airport card yourself, your Macbook still has the stock b/g only WiFi card.

21. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Absolutely not.

22. boneskid1 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input, my MacBook did connect to my n wireless before the HDD shot craps it has an airport extreme in it so I am not sure if it was upgraded before I got it. And it slipped my mind that the CD was 32bit and that is why I can't install lion on it. Also I must have just gotten mixed up with the PowerBook while searching for the MacBook board.

I really appreciated the help and I don't what I am going to do at this point. I like having a Mac but I can't really upgrade to something both quicker and more updated.

Thanks,
    Boneskid1

23. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Your Macbook likely only has b/g capability. It will connect to a Airport Extreme N router, but only at G speeds.

24. DaKKs macrumors 6502

Been playing around with it during class and i managed to get it to load, it looks like it flashes, but it never changes to 2,1. The progress bar fills and it reboots, bit its still running 1,1 firmware. PRAM reset does nowt.