MacBook 1.1 - Loud fan

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Ablinn, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Ablinn macrumors newbie

Hey!

I have a MacBook 1.1 Core Duo 2.0ghz 2gb ram and my CPU fan is really loud, by just watching a YouTube video in 360p the CPU temp goes up to about 70c (158 fahrenheit) and the fan can reach 5000-5500 when performing such tasks that are considered easy for a computer of this quality.
    And I'm quite worried that this will cause the computer damage, I am as well very annoyed by the loud fan
    Any solution?

And no, it's not a print job stuck.

Thanks in advance.

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Use HTML5 for YouTube instead, seems to consume 30-50% less CPU load when I've tested it.

Also if you're finding the fan to be abnormally loud, here's an iFixit guide for replacing the fan. I'd suggest tearing it down to the point where you can access the fan and vacuum it to get the dust out.

3. Ablinn thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I guess replacing the fan is the only way to fix it, I've already vacuumed the fan and it didn't make a noticeable difference.

Thanks

4. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

The main problem with the MacBook models that feature Intel Graphics chips is that those GPUs don't support accelerated video decoding. That makes Flash rely only on the CPU.

It's worth updating to the latest version of Flash (http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/) because they added support for accelerated video scaling (so that if you go fullscreen, the GPU will be used to make the video fit to screen) - this should work on more computers, and might work on an early MacBook.