Macbook 1.1 Still Worth Buying?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Gizmo22, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Gizmo22 macrumors regular

Gizmo22

May have found a "deal" on a Macbook 1.1 that's just about already spec'd out.

My issue with this is the limit of 2 GB of memory. Can anyone comment on 2 GB cutting it or not on Snow Leopard or Lion? I would like to purchase another Macbook/MBP on the cheap since my MBP was just adopted by my wife (not sure how that happened?), but do not want to end up with a 13" plastic paperweight either.

Not trying to play games (maybe the occasional flash), but I do like to work with 5-10 large Excel sheets open and still have iTunes running.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I Think You

Are going to be pushing it to be honest, 2GB is going to be like glue....You may be better off waiting for a better spec.

3. Gizmo22 thread starter macrumors regular

Gizmo22

I do not want to give the impression of turning this into an appraisal thread, but I do feel it is pertinent to state that it is for what I feel is very cheap...a few hundred dollars.

4. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

How cheap is cheap? Some places around the net have some deals on older Macbooks. OWC has a Macbook 4,1 for $479, with a 60 day warranty. (Hey, it's better than nothing!) That one can actually handle up to 6GB of RAM. If that is out of your budget, then you may be stuck with an older system.

5. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

Don't touch the thing for more than $250. It sounds low, but you can get a core 2 duo second gen for around $300-$350 if you try hard enough. And remember, you're buying a 5 year old first generation product, so there's going to be problems from age and it being first gen (plastic yellowing, for example).

6. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

yeah I don't think i would pay more than $200 - 250 for such a machine. Lion eats 2+GB easily.

I mean if you want a mac thats cheap and don't need all the bells and whistles, but like others have stated, you can get the 4,1 from owc for sub $500, if I were you I would just visit ebay. before the cancellation of t he macbook, they were still going for $500 for the latest version. So i doubt it has much value. if your used to a pro, you may want something with a little more power too, so its not such a big jump, and the price between models shouldn't be that big of a jump.

7. Gizmo22 thread starter macrumors regular

Gizmo22

Thanks for all the opinions.

Long story short, I would like a 15" or 17" MBP. That said, it's entirely unnecessary. I would like to rid myself of one last Windows PC and a few other computer parts before spending more cash on another notebook computer.

Thus the cheap Macbook to hold me over for a few weeks until I can get other items liquidated.

8. tomville macrumors newbie

If it's a MacBook 1,1 with a Core Duo processor you won't be able to install Lion. The minimum requirement is Core 2 Duo

9. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

If it's just for a few weeks, why does it even matter what you buy?

10. Gizmo22 thread starter macrumors regular

Gizmo22

I don't want to be stuck with a paperweight that I can't get rid of. Secondly, if I am losing two or three minutes an hour waiting on files to open or be manipulated, I end up losing one to two day's work over a three week period.

I can't take that, and I know corporate can't take that.

11. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

No functional Mac will be a paperweight you're stuck with. When you are done, sell it on Ebay and it will always go for a decent current market price. I've done this with literally dozens of Macs through the years. Your second concern, though, is an issue- I think you're setting yourself up for disaster with an older machine, especially on Snow Leopard (Lion is out of the question for Core Duos). You have to decide whether you are more concerned with resale-ability and resale value or speed. If it's the latter, I'd probably suck it up and go with a cheap Windows machine - you could get better specs for a cheaper price, but, of course, you'd have the resale factor reduced dramatically. It's a personal decision, though.

12. Gizmo22 thread starter macrumors regular

Gizmo22

I've got an i5 Windows laptop now and my work laptop, I just prefer working in Linux or OSX. Linux is out of the question for my work computer, and since I am trying to sell the i5 Windows I don't want to remove the OS. That said, if the Macbook could be resold for $300 or $400 on eBay in a few weeks, then perhaps I'll pick this up after all.

13. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

The non-unibody pros are still very capable laptops, and have depreciated much more than the newer unibody models. Pick up an early 08 15", and you should be saving a couple hundred over a similarly spec'ed unibody unit. However, just so you know, if you buy a mac from ebay, you're never going to get your money back. The prices are too high for resale. However, if you get one with cosmetic damage for cheap, replace some parts, then you could probably break even or make a tiny bit of money.

If you're willing to spend $350-$400, you can get a 2006 macbook pro 15" with a C2D 2.16GHz processor. That's near retail prices, but if you can hype your item description when time comes to resell, then you can possible make some money.

14. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

You should have no problem recouping at least 75% of what you pay. Reason being- eBay fees. Otherwise, I would not be surprised if, when you place it for sale, the final bid is within $50 of what you paid originally. If you were using it for, say, 6 months, this wouldn't be the case of course- but for a couple of weeks, I couldn't imagine resale value would become an issue.

15. beerijuana macrumors newbie

beerijuana

My zombie Macbook 1.1 (on a zombie thread)

Many apologies for waking up this zombie thread from '11 (and being wordy)..

It's 3 years after the OP, I remember when these came out, I bought a 15" MacBook Pro that year, I think it was 2ghz. I broke it near the end of it's one year of Apple Care and Apple was taking too long to send the part to the authorized repair service, ...so they ( :apple: ) offered me this option in '07, "We can send you a new 15" MBP, but with the new LED screens, there's a two week wait, OR, we could send you a 2.4ghz 17" MBP right now".

So I had a brand new 17" MBP with another years warranty, ....sold that a week before the warranty was up (worried about the Nvidia chip problem) and got a great iMac.

Sold that in '10, moved to the US from Canada and had a '10 21" iMac to use, and a new girlfriend. We split up last July and I came back to Canada, I'm stayin with my brother and his fiancée until I get back on my feet (almost there), ...so he gave me this old '06, 1.87ghz Macbook to use as a loner while I'm here, I'm running 10.6.8.

I use it for Photoshop CS3, two versions of iMovie (HD 6 and 8), Audacity/Mbox 2 mini for recording music (my own) and I can't believe how much I can actually get done with this thing.

These old beaters are far from useless, even now, 8 years after they came out. Oh, there's a place here in the GTA you can get batteries for around $40, soooo... yeah, it kinda' sucks to have gone from Mountain Lion and Nvidia graphics and 16 gigs of RAM that I was using down in North Carolina, ....funny though, I only ever surfed and played Borderlands II on that iMac.

Sure, it will be nice to get a '11 or '12 27" iMac, ...which is my plan, ...when I have the scratch. But, I'm keeping this old boy until it dies. Who knows, it may outlive me?

Oh, I made this video (iMovie 6 HD and iMovie 8), and wrote and recorded ...well, more like mixed from some old orphaned WAV files from guitar and bass tracks I'd recorded in '01, ...I did record the vocals with the tiny l'il pinhole mic on the Macbook. All in all, it took three hours, ...from scratch.

http://youtu.be/dgDpEeiJ7ew

Don't tell me these are useless, I won't believe you.

:)

16. Orlandus, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015

Orlandus macrumors newbie

Orlandus

These old beaters are far from useless, even now, 8 years after they came out.
    Sure, it will be nice to get a '11 or '12 27" iMac, ...which is my plan, ...when I have the scratch. But, I'm keeping this old boy until it dies. Who knows, it may outlive me?

Don't tell me these are useless, I won't believe you.

:)[/QUOTE]

You betcha. I have a Macbook 1, 1 (with memory maxed out using modules scavenged from another, damaged machine) and it's running Linux Mint 17.3 like a champ. I even sprang for a SSD that makes it really snappy. This is now more that 9 years after it came out. It is my primary portable machine.

What is even more amazing to me is that the Macbook 1,2 (the first Core 2 Duo model), released in late 2006 so that it will be 9 years old in a couple of months, is still supported by the most recent versions of OS X.

No such luck for the Macbook 1,1 with its 32-bit Core Duo CPU. Hence (among other reasons that might be adduced) the decision to repurpose it a Linux machine.

17. Jack Neill macrumors member

Jack Neill

You betcha. I have a Macbook 1, 1 (with memory maxed out using modules scavenged from another, damaged machine) and it's running Linux Mint 17.3 like a champ. I even sprang for a SSD that makes it really snappy. This is now more that 9 years after it came out. It is my primary portable machine.

What is even more amazing to me is that the Macbook 1,2 (the first Core 2 Duo model), released in late 2006 so that it will be 9 years old in a couple of months, is still supported by the most recent versions of OS X.

No such luck for the Macbook 1,1 with its 32-bit Core Duo CPU. Hence (among other reasons that might be adduced) the decision to repurpose it a Linux machine.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't call anything older than Lion "recent", I have a 2,1 that maxed at Lion and even with a SSD it sucked. It runs Windows 10 like a champ though..

18. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

Mine was alright although things got choppy when YouTube got involved. I would've kept it around as a file server, but it started to deteriorate so I wound up junking it after 8 years. A shame too since it was the first Mac I ever owned.

19. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

I'd have to say no it's not worth buying.

Why? Because of the lack of support, the age of the hardware.

20. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

On a side note: I've owned a number of the white macbooks over the years...almost always they run way better if you take them apart and clean heatsink/fan and redo the thermal paste. Then install a clean version of snow leopard and reset the smc...