Macbook 1.1ghz to 1.3ghz is it worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mackie8, Dec 15, 2015.

1. mackie8 macrumors 6502

is there a noticeable difference on the speed? is it worth paying the upgrade?

2. David58117 macrumors 65816

3. Queen6, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Personally no, rMB is not a Mac to be considering for CPU bound applications, like as not there will be little if any real world impact. If your usage is going to run the CPU at 100% you may see some impact for a short period prior to the CPU throttling due to temperature. My own 1.2 rMB rarely tops out the CPU in normal use.

Technically one can say that the 1.3 will be faster, equally the differences in performance will not be tangible, or at best minimal. The 1.2 with additional storage I find is a better proposition for longevity and or resale.

Q-6

4. mackie8 thread starter macrumors 6502

I might return my 1.3ghz for 1.1ghz.... I got a great deal for the base model.... S$600 difference... Lol

I hope there will be no extensive drop on performance ...

5. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

20% tops, in the right circumstance, for short bursts, better to put the $600 towards the next generation, than the current 1.3 as the Skylake model will have an uplift in CPU and a significant improvement for the GPU.

Q-6

6. mackie8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yah thats what im thinking also i can sell it for maybe $100 loss only once next gen is out

7. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Exactly :)

Q-6

8. David58117 macrumors 65816

I have the base model and it's very snappy.

9. mackie8 thread starter macrumors 6502

i have the base model already .. not much difference on the speed so far.. i havent run my game yet haha..

but there's something different on the touchpad... on my space grey 1.3ghz.. i can really feel the clicking...
    but on the gold 1.1ghz... i almost cant feel the clicking.. i dunno if its a problem or not..
    but i can get response on it.. im not a touchpad person .. i use mouse most of the time... but i notice it right out of the box...

10. kungxpao macrumors regular

kungxpao

Have you tried adjusting the settings?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204352

11. mackie8 thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried adjusting to firm it seem better... But my space grey is better even on medium settings..

12. iosuser macrumors 6502a

I know what you're talking about. The demo unit I played with at Best Buy, I could hardly feel the click at all even after fiddling with the touchpad settings. Having used a 2015 13" rMBP with the force touchpad, I know what it's supposed to feel like. Thankfully the one I bought the click is much stronger. It seems there's some build variances.

Back on topic, the extra 200mhz is definitely not worth the money. Processor upgrade that is strictly a slight clock speed bump is the biggest ripoff.

13. brentsg macrumors 68030

Count me in the other category. I'll take a binned CPU anyday. They are usually the most efficient, as well as being capable of higher clocks. Of course it depends on what you're doing with it. If you're buying b/c you don't care about performance and only want the form, then sure.. pass up the upgrade.

14. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Question for anyone that owns the 1.3ghz model and has Microsoft Office 2016 for Mac. Figured it might belong in this thread, rather than starting a new one.

How long does it take to open Microsoft Word on the 1.3ghz model?

I was at the Apple Store over the weekend, and they only had the 1.1ghz model on display. I was really surprised to see that Word 2016 took so long to open. While it took about 4 seconds (I counted Mississippis) to present me with the window to select a new document, it was another few seconds after the blank new document opened that I could type without lag. I tried the same on a nearby Macbook Air, and it was noticeably faster. I realize this is mostly caused by the bloated and inefficient Microsoft Office 2016 software. It was, in my opinion, unacceptably slow on nearly all the Macs. And every other application on the 1.1ghz rMB opened very quickly. Still, I am curious if it similarly takes such a long time on the 1.3ghz model.

15. IowaLynn macrumors 6502a

IowaLynn

Store systems are usually not perfectly updated and maintained. Try Pages also which reads and exports Word?

16. tbirdparis macrumors 6502

In all honesty I think the model choices (apart from colour) are more rationally about the built-in storage size than anything else. The slightly faster processors probably do make a small difference some of the time, but IMO they're offered more to help people justify the higher price of the bigger storage model than anything else.

In the end, I wanted 512 of storage no matter what (would have taken more if it were on offer), so that got me to the 1.2 model by default. By that point, since this machine was already a personal indulgence, it didn't feel that outrageous to pay an extra 150 bucks to go the whole hog for the 1.3. I probably fell into exactly the customer profile they predicted would do this, but I don't mind. This machine was already an irrational choice if I apply the criteria I use to buy gear for real work. But as a personal, go everywhere device that has combined everything I loved about the old 12" powerbook without the shortcomings of the iPad, I was more than happy to pimp it out to the top specs. Basically to treat myself.

17. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Having owned all 3 variants, absolutely not. There is nothing the 1.3 will do that the 1.1 cannot. I promise you will not see a difference at all.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 5, 2016 ---
    Just opened it on my 1.1 machine and it took 1.5 mississippi