Macbook 1.3GHz Core M vs Macbook Air 2.2GHz i7

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by StevenB7, Apr 13, 2015.

1. StevenB7 macrumors newbie

I am trying to decide between a Macbook 1.3GHz Dual-Core Intel Core M Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz and a 13" Macbook Air 2.2GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7 Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz both with 256GB PCIe-based Flash Storage and 8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM.

I would go with the Air if it had a Retina display but the lack is really giving me pause.

The geekbrench numbers on the 1.1 and 1.2 Core M don't make the i7 sound that much faster. Can anyone help be get my head around how large the speed difference would be?

I know the 13" Air has a 2x faster Flash Drive than prior models. Has anyone tested the speed of the flash drive on the Macbook to see if it's comparable in read and write speed?

Thanks!

2. ccsasuke, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015

ccsasuke macrumors newbie

i7-5650U should be considerably faster than 5Y71. (10%-20% in short benchmarks, even more when under continuous load.)
    rMB did not get the PCIe x4 (aka 2x faster) SSD (at least inferred from read/write speeds) per earlier reviews from Engadget and Ars.

I'm still buying rMB though, since i)the performance really makes difference in a very limited, in any, number of real-world scenarios. In other words, most of the things that can be done on a MBA could probably work Okay on a rMB. (rMBP may make a difference though.) ii)rMB has a better (or at least newer) design (light, thin, retina screen, etc.)

3. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

depends on what you will use it for.
    if you just use it for browsing or typing words/excels, you won't feel any difference (except the screen :))
    if you will do some photo/video editing on a regular basis, air will definitely be faster, even they have the same cpu, the fan on air will keep its cpu running on higher frequency for a much longer period time. but, in this case, i believe your better choice maybe pros.

as for disk speed. i personally have a 128 2013rmbp, and bought a 1tb ssd for that. the speed for those two ssds are 200w/500r and 1000w/1000r, but i don't feel any difference, at all. well, except the capacity of course.