Macbook 1 yr old, still has 100% battery health

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Khryz, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Khryz macrumors 6502a

Hello. I bought a Macbook 2.16 GHz 1GM Ram C2D exactly one year ago. Now, according to iStat Pro my battery is still at 100%.

Is this normal? I'm not complaining at all but I read a lot of threads on here of people who had their Macbook for 6 months and their batteries were at sub-80% health. My battery has gone through 151 cycles. Is that normal? I normally keep it plugged into the power adapter but I do run it off battery power until sub-20% charge occasionally.

Now my roommate bought a Macbook in April, and I think it's the same model and specs as what's available now, 2 GM Ram, 2.4 GHz, yet when I used his Macbook off battery power it loses it's charge MUCH slower than mine. I can go from 100% to 80% in 15-20 minutes yet he'd still be at 92-93%.

UPDATE: It is now (2) TWO years since I bought my Macbook .. and iStat Pro still shows that my battery has 100% battery health. I have gone through 236 cycles as per iStat and the Mac's System Profiler, and System Profiler says my battery condition is GOOD. Is this normal?

I thought the more GHZ and RAM the more it drains your battery. Maybe I had a lot more applications open or something..

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

those app aren't precise. Only solid evidence is how long you can run your laptop off battery. Use default settings, wi-fi on, doing web and office, see how long it last, >3.5Hrs would be as good as new, <3 hrs means its not 100% anymore, if you are not lucky, like me, it will hold 30 minutes after 2 years.

3. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

I'm getting just as good life as I did 15 months ago and coconut battery says that I'm still over the Original Battery Capacity. I'm not sure how accurate it is but I use it as an actual laptop (on battery) about 50% of the time, the rest of the time I have it is desktop mode.

Attached Files:

4. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

Here is mine :D:

Attached Files:

5. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

you guys really believe you can get more by using it? current capacity larger than original?

Just do some real test yourself. If you really worry about it.

7. H&Kie macrumors regular

I know some types of batteries (NiMH, powertool batteries) are claimed to reach full capacity after a couple of full charge/discharge cycles.

But whether the same goes for notebook batteries after far over 100 cycles? That's doubtful imho

8. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I got larger than my original full capacity Macbook battery after 1 year and 279 cycles. I use it mainly as a portable desktop, around my house, with the power adaptor a lot, if that helps.

9. muldul macrumors 6502

It may mean 100% charged out of what is left on your battery, and as evident by your friend's battery, yours has lost some charge

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think they've upped the battery capacity in reality but not on in Coconut battery. My MacBook is at 5400 mAh when its supposed to be limited to 5020mAh.

11. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

^^ That one will probably be in line for replacement if you have Applecare (well when it drops below 80% anyhow).

13. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

maybe, when I go back to my family in new york I'll bring it in. Already had 3 repairs, oh well...

14. Fuchal macrumors 68020

According to apple: Batteries are disposable items, they don't last forever.

Apple will replace a battery if it is clearly defective only. Defective would be, from their example, 50% health after a few months, or failing to charge.

15. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

I'd like to see somebody beat this:

[​IMG]

I dunno how it's still that good after almost 400 cycles, but maybe it's because I let it run out several times a week just because I wanna use it somewhere other than my desk. Or maybe I just got lucky. :confused: :D

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Nope, 80%/300 cycles is their official limit.

17. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

18. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

there you go, it changed, I'm not sure how accurate this is.

[​IMG]

19. irmac macrumors member

20. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

And you've all calibrated your batteries according to Apple's published guidelines?

If not, do that and then see what the readings are. And take the information from the System Profiler instead of a third party app

21. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

UPDATE: It is now (2) TWO years since I bought my Macbook .. and iStat Pro still shows that my battery has 100% battery health. I have gone through 236 cycles as per iStat and the Mac's System Profiler, and System Profiler says my battery condition is GOOD. Is this normal?

22. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Is there a golden rule that a battery has to drop to ~80% health after a year or xxx many cycles? Just use the damned battery until its worn out then get another.

23. celticpride678

Yeah, there is nothing to worry about. If you are so worried, try a battery calibration and then see if it is still 100%. Just use the battery, while you still have it.